Sunday, September 13, 2015

Star Gazing Verses Facebook Scrolling

It is 8:30 on a Sunday morning.

I was scanning through my Facebook feed and as I was doing so, I noticed the exact moment a friend post a video to my timeline.

I was gazing at a picture of my son, standing beside his hay bales and just as I was taking note of the people who "liked" his new profile picture, the names changed in front of my eyes. My sister liked his picture at the very same moment I was looking at it.

Oh what a feeling it was, knowing that I was sitting still in the quiet of my Sunday morning with my coffee at my side and I knew a friend and my sister were doing exactly the same thing I was doing, at the very same time.

I "turned on chat", on the side of my Facebook page and saw at that exact moment in time two of my cousins, my cousin's daughter, my nephew, a friend and my sister were all on Facebook at that very same moment.

I remember thinking how romantic it was, to know that two people could be separated by thousands of miles, yet look up at the same sky and see the same moon at the same time. 

It doesn't seem quite the same, knowing all of those who happened to be scrolling down and reading our Facebook feed at the very same moment in time.

Facebook is closing the distance within this great big world of ours. But I still think staring out into the skies above, knowing we are all looking out the same "window" into the vast universe, puts life into perspective better for me.

It is comforting to feel connected despite the miles and time we have been separated from those we know well. I give Facebook credit for re-establishing several connections I thought I had lost. I just hope I never lose sight of the myriad of ways I can keep in touch with those I wish I saw more often.

Don't forget the value of a phone call, a note or letter, an email or stopping by for a cup of coffee. Pick up the phone, gaze out into the sky at the same time as the person on the other end of the line.

It's a small world. Keep yourself connected and engaged with those you value. You'll never regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment