Friday, August 14, 2015

Payback Time

Even though my credit card bill has not yet been printed, it is paid in full from the balance in my savings account.

House Revival Phase One is paid in full.

Now comes the drumroll ...

Onward (go the renos) and upward (goes the loan balance).

Is that a wise thing? The first domino has been tipped forward which has set forth that domino effect of house renovations and excessive spending.

My first move is a wise one and it even increases the market value of our home. Even though "market value" is the least of my worries, an egress window in our downstairs bedroom is something I should have done twenty years ago.

I know without a doubt this is a good move. Except the existing window is too close to the gas line and other services entering our home so it cannot be enlarged. Presently, moisture and cold air are seeping into our home via that thin pane of sliding glass. So that window will be sealed and updated to something more energy efficient and resistant to water. There went the second domino.

While that second domino was teetering on the edge of falling over, I checked into replacing our broken garage and playhouse windows. For the bargain price of $781.00 (taxes included), we can have four windows replaced by a reputable company. Sign me up for that deal!

The third domino is the fact that there will be inside finishing work to be done once our new basement window is installed. Our window installers don't do that work but they know someone who does.

So, while that finishing carpenter is in our midst, I shall ask if he is up to repairing the battered and bruised corners of our hallway and entrance upstairs. And I wonder, if I was to move an electrical outlet in the kitchen and wire in an additional one, if he could patch that wall as well?

Domino number four. Maybe I can call an electrician to see how much it would cost to move that outlet and add one more.

Then there is all of that painting! And no holidays with which to do it!! What to do? What to do?? I wonder if my Painter Guy would return for some weekend work??

Oh yes, and then there is the living room window that has been seeping moisture each and every winter since we moved into our home. This is the window that started this "domino effect" to begin with...

Three weeks later, I haven't heard a peep out of the window and door company that dropped by to give me a quote for the aforementioned window. But my garage/basement "repair window guy" gave me the name of a company they work with.

Picking up the phone and dialing it is proving to be rather expensive. So far, everything I have done has been paid in full. Everything from this point on is an "investment" and will incur adding to my debt load.

On the other hand, yesterday afternoon I had someone ring my front doorbell asking about the availability of daycare spots within my daycare. Then the phone rang, asking if I could take a "drop in" next week. I met up with a fellow daycare-provider in the park two days ago and she asked if she could refer calls to me.

My income potential looks secure enough to offset this new and improved house reno and the debt load I am about to incur.

It is scary. But I think I can do this.

I think I can ... I think I can ... I think I can ...

This line of thinking has changed my world in the past. I believe it is the best direction to move. Just as long as I have no regrets when it comes to payback time.

No comments:

Post a Comment