Monday, January 12, 2015

Snippets

I jumped out of bed with a pile of words sitting on my fingertips this morning.

Snippets. Phrases. Quotes. Ideas. Thoughts.

Ping! Ping! Ping!

I sped through my breakfast-making routine and went straight to an empty page to write, before the words evaporated into the day before me.

I wrote. I rewrote. I felt. I thought.

It seemed like I had something important to say and it was starting to seep out of my fingertips.

Like an artist painting a picture, I took a step back. I added, tweaked, edited, reworked my 'masterpiece'.

Close. Not quite. Better. It's coming. I think I'm onto something here.

Then I heard the familiar rumble of an engine outside. I peeked through the slats of the blinds to find one of my daycare families who had arrived fifteen minutes early. Fifteen minutes!

In the time it took for me to get dressed and greet the day, my piece of work vanished into thin air.

The feeling. The momentum. The energy. The emotion. Like a bubble that bursts after bobbing and weaving and remaining intact ten times longer than the rest. It was gone.

'This' is why I don't tend to arrive at my appointments with destiny early. One never knows what can be lost by that extra fifteen minutes 'gained' at someone else's expense.

As a rule, I am the one with something to gain. I often accomplish more in fifteen minutes than I do in three hours.

I work best when I am racing against the clock. I just hate when the 'alarm' goes off earlier than anticipated.

This is why I have a small collection of unfinished drafts of writing sitting in my collection of blog posts. My day quite often steps in and interrupts a work-in-progress. When I sit down and look at it later, it is never quite the same as it was the moment I was feeling it.

I simply have the remnants of the thoughts that begged to be written. They feel jagged, uneven and not ready for human consumption. So I put them aside and settle for the snippets of thought and ease I felt as I released them.

Sometimes a person simply needs to purge and release. Sometimes you need to be still with yourself and just feel. Other times one needs to hear the words out loud.

There is a time and a place for everything.

This morning's early arrival took the choice out of my hands.

I'm grateful life-as-I-know-it greeted me early this morning. It kept me in the present. And that is exactly where I needed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment