Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sometimes ...

I had a nightmare this morning: 

I had made a promise to pick up a friend so that we could meet with a group of friends for coffee. I looked at the clock and I had an hour before I had to leave. The next time I looked at the clock, I was an hour late. Not only that, but I could not get my phone to work so that I could call my friend to explain that I was (finally) on my way. 

My sister and her friend were with me. And I didn't have a car. Nor did I have a plan. We were somehow transported (via dream-magic) to somewhere on "8th Street". And I didn't know which way to turn. We headed off to pick up one friend and it would have taken close to an hour to walk there. Then I remembered that the friend I had promised to pick up was much closer to where we were standing. So we turned around and headed towards her home. 

It was then, that I realized that I had (somehow) gotten my phone to work and she wasn't home (so she must have left without me). So we just had to head towards the place we were going to meet for coffee. For the life of me, I couldn't remember where we were meeting. I was late. I was standing in the middle of no-where-that-I-was-supposed-to-be and I had no idea where to go next...

Then I woke up.

The dream was so real, I almost emailed this particular group of friends to see if we had any upcoming plans that I had forgotten to write down. Gradually, the night-fog cleared and I realized that it was all just a dream. The reality is ... that I feel like I am standing still in the middle of the life that is going on all around me.

Life has been a little busier than I am comfortable with lately.

It has been a good busy. Lots of interaction with people. A little bit of 'Doing Hard Things' and dealing with the aftermath. A little gadding about and tending to friendships, work and life. Lots of coming and going within our home. It has simply been ... busy.

I am grateful. But I also been ... tired.

I am tired of thinking. I am tired of talking. I am tired of interacting. Last night, I was so tired that I went to bed before 7:00, but my body wasn't tired and my brain was filled up with all-that-I-have-not-been-doing. Needless to say, I woke up (and immediately fell back to sleep) about every hour or two all night.

Then I woke up this morning and reread an email that a friend sent to me yesterday:


... and I realized that this is the magic ingredient that is missing at the moment. 

When too much is going on in your life, book some time for yourself. I will be back with my own thoughts just as soon as I take a few of those moments for myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment