Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mountains and Sand

The more I talk with people, the more I feel we have in common. I think that is why I like to get past 'talking about the weather' and talk about real things. We are all struggling with something.

Even when life feels good, do we ever forget the feeling of climbing the mountain to get to the resting spot that we may be enjoying at the moment? Perhaps that is why that I believe that it is important to forgive, but not to forget the lessons that we have learned along the way.

Once upon a lifetime ago, I read the quote "Holding a grudge is allowing someone to live rent free in your head". I have never forgotten that particular group of words. One simple statement changed me.

I have felt the pain of heart ache and loss. I have felt anger and betrayal. Life has not always been fair and (sometimes) I have had to fight for what (I felt) I rightfully deserved.

I have grieved the loss of life-as-I-expected-it-to-be but I have moved onto the life-that-I-was-meant-to-live.

When I look back, it is not the easy and carefree times that define me or have made me into the person that I have become. It is the mountains, the moments of crisis, the betrayals, the losses and the pain. When life hits a crescendo, you must act.

I am grateful for the lessons that I have learned. I have forgiven the humans behind the pain. But I hope to always remember the lessons.

It is the lessons we learn along the way that help us hear what someone's eyes are telling us. Our imperfections help to open the doors of conversation where trust is born and friendship evolves. I would choose to be rich in friendship verses the riches money can buy any day of the week.

At times of great loss or crisis, people band together to help another walk through the moment. But it is in the months and years after that moment that a person may start to feel that pain more deeply. The world has moved on and often it is then, that a person who has suffered a life-altering-event needs support the most.

Why do people tend to feel the need to be strong when they are feeling a moment of weakness? I feel that we become stronger by leaning in together and forming a strong support group. Together...

"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
~ Robert W. Service

No comments:

Post a Comment