Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Say it Out Loud

Sometimes I need to say things out loud to hear the answers I need to hear.

It was a small thing, but in my litany of voicing my exasperating 'kid moments' last week I heard myself speak. It was a small thing (my two-year-old who shoves the entire toast crust into his mouth in a double-fisted all-goes-in-his-mouth maneuver), but once I said it out loud I heard the obvious - cut the toast into 'triangles' (less crust to jam into his mouth at the end). It worked like a charm.

My second minor epiphany that was a day-changer yesterday. Monday is an exhausting day. Everyone is exhausted. Yesterday? I put the one-year-olds down for a short morning snooze and I snuggled on the couch with the two-year-old for some TV time while the girls were sleeping. Calmness reigned throughout the day.

Writing things out helps me sort through the chaos in my mind and helps me see that it is often one overwhelming thought that is going forth and multiplying in my mind. When the words are on paper, I can see that my thoughts were bigger in my mind than they were in reality.

How many times have I said something out loud and heard the answer I needed to hear ... simply by hearing my voice outside my head? More times than I can remember.

Keeping our thoughts to ourselves isn't always the best answer. Put a voice to that which is overtaking your thoughts. Say it out loud. Bounce your words off of another human being. You may be surprised at what you hear.

Besides that, putting a voice to your happiness enhances that which is already there. Sharing your worries diminishes their power. Call a friend today. You will be glad that you did.

 "Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow" (a Swedish proverb)

No comments:

Post a Comment