Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Momentum

I could have curled up into a little ball and cried when the alarm went off this morning. It felt like I had just closed my eyes. Wait!! It felt like I had just closed my eyes?!?? That meant that I slept soundly last night. It has been a while since I woke up to the alarm, with no memory of anything since setting the sleep timer on the TV. Hooray!!

The reason that I didn't want to get up was because I didn't want to face the flyers that would inevitably be dropped off this morning. Creak ... crackle ... pop... and moan. And I was out of bed.

I haven't sat still (for long) since.

The flyers were not dropped off until almost 6:45 a.m., so I couldn't get an early start. But I could get a start. So I set one foot in front of the other, grumbled and complained when I saw that the bin was crammed full of flyers (spring is in the air and all the sales associated with the change of seasons, so the flyers were thick), plus a one-page 'topper' to boot. Grumble ... grumble ... complain ... complain. And I was off.

I delivered two thirds of the flyers before my daycare family started arriving. We got every one in, fed, bathroomed and ready to go outside. Shortly after 9 a.m., I had my little daycare family of three ready to tackle more flyers. Two in the stroller and one 'helping' me push. The sidewalks are a mess and the roads are not much better. It took every muscle in my body to push the stroller as well as carry a full load of flyers in my carrier bag. Grrrr ... hrumph ... grumble ... whine ... complain. And we just kept on putting one foot ahead of the other.

My two girls (that were lucky enough to be in the stroller) fell asleep. The decision to continue to tackling the job was easy. Especially because my two-year-old was so co-operative. He was pretty amazing as a matter of fact. One hour and twenty minutes later (it would have taken no longer than 45 minutes if I didn't have three kids in tow) ... all of the flyers were delivered!! Hallelujah!!

I kept the momentum going throughout the day. Little things got done. Nothing major but a handful of little things all add up. We aren't sticking to the kitchen floor. Meter readings got done. I vacummed a little (the kids love the game of running away from the vacuum cleaner). Oh, and I did take care of three small children all day as well (man, these ages are demanding!).

It was a day that I did not want to confront. It was a day that was better off dealt with head on, than ignored. Bit by bit, step by step, hour by hour ... the day was spent.

It is a very good feeling to sit back at the end of a somewhat productive day and be happy with what you have accomplished.

I guess it was worth getting out of bed this morning. Now, I just have to do it all over again tomorrow. There will be about 166 Leisure Guides to be delivered. Not to mention that our forecast says that it is going to feel like -20 degrees in the morning (after reaching a balmy -8 this afternoon) ... grumble ... grumble ... complain ... whine ...

No comments:

Post a Comment