Saturday, March 2, 2013

"It's Saturday! It's Saturday!", she says with a sigh

"It's Friday! It's Friday!", read an early morning email that I received today. I sighed when I read the words. Friday just isn't the same as it used to be ...

Friday winds up my week of daycare. It usually arrives just in time because by Friday, I am really starting to run out of tricks. By the day's end, I definitely have the words "It's Friday! It's Friday!" running through my head. Okay, okay ... you will find me uttering it out loud as well. Friday does signify the end of the week. On one hand.

On the other hand ... I still have flyers to deliver Friday night. More papers to deliver Saturday. On one foot ... I have a Saturday morning housecleaning job. On the last foot ... I have bookkeeping duties that sound like they will creep into Sunday afternoon. 

Then I will wake up Monday morning to do it all over again. At least my Monday - Friday job is from home. I can fit a fair little bit of my own little life into the cracks of my days...

I wrote these words yesterday morning. Other than a few incoherent 'one' to 'ten' word emails that I sent (that were completely inappropriate or missed the point), my brain was mush. Thank goodness it was Friday. I guess.

It is now 4 a.m. Saturday morning ...

I am awake and afraid to go back to sleep because this just may be the only 'me' time that I have today before I must leave the house at 8:30 this morning.

I had tentative plans to get together last night with a friend. When part of her plans changed, I didn't get back to her to see if she still wanted to get together for coffee. Fail!! Instead? I took advantage of my free after supper hours to get a bad  haircut (how bad can it be? ... a chunk of my bangs are missing. A chunk!!).

I had the presence of mind to send an email to a friend at the exact time of a huge turning point in her life. An occasion that she has been anticipating for years on end. Years. What did my email say? I have no idea. It was inane. Inappropriate. Insufficient. In so many words?? Another fail!

Yesterday, I had two Excel spreadsheets open on the computer. I had a Microsoft Word document up so that I could make a quick revision and print it off. I had Google Chrome minimized on the computer (I can't add photos or videos to my daycare blog unless I do it in Google Chrome). I had Windows Movie Maker minimized as well, so that I could start splicing and dicing some video clips of the day together for my daycare blog. I also had three windows open in Internet Explorer. I had this post sitting unfinished. All day. I just had to complete my thoughts and hit 'Publish'.

And that was just on one computer. I had my netbook computer turned on and sitting on the kitchen table with various open programs also open and waiting for me to pay attention to them.Then there was a parcel to be mailed. A fax that I needed to send. Calls to make. A forgotten to-do-list sitting in my bedroom ... and a stray newspaper made it into the house, begging to be read. Oh yes, and I had two, 1-year-old girls vying for my attention (which they did get, thus everything else simply sat there and multiplied by itself throughout the course of the day).

I had flyers to deliver at the day's end. Hair that was long and shaggy and in need of attention. And all I really wanted to do was to sit down on the couch with a plate full of supper and watch a taped episode of "The Gilmore Girls".

I tended to a few must-do-items last night. But I neglected my friend that had suggested coffee ...

And today? I don't want to 'do' today. It will be fine. It always is. Just getting up and getting on with the day will propel me into action and I will be very pleased that I had something to show for the day. I will. I always do.

I just want to fast forward to the part where I climb back into bed tonight. Because tomorrow? Is free. No papers. No kids. No bookkeeping. No cleaning. No nothing. I will wake up in the morning singing, "It's Sunday! It's Sunday!!" ...

But for now? I am going to crawl back under my covers and revel in an hour more sleep. I can't wait to get back to bed tonight....and I haven't even crawled out of bed yet this morning. Sigh ...

G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment