Monday, February 11, 2013

An Idle Sunday

Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it.
No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
~ Lord Chesterfield

I know better. When I know better, I should have done better! I wasted yet another Sunday. I gave the day over to sitting idle. Again.

Mistake #1 - I stayed in bed too long. I turned on the TV (always a big mistake) and watched (dozed through) a movie. I didn't get up until almost 8:30. The day was not off to a good start.

Mistake #2 - When my initial Sunday Breakfast plans fell through, I didn't follow through on my instincts to immediately call another friend to see if they would like to out for breakfast.

Mistake #3 - I went out for coffee instead. Conversation was okay ... but not stimulating. I came home feeling uninspired, unmotivated and very lackadaisical.

Mistake #4 - I came home and did nothing. I turned on the TV. I checked to see if I had received any calls or emails in my absence. I didn't. So I did nothing ...

Mistake #5 - I continued to do nothing. All day.

Mistake #6 - I forgot to follow through on my plans to call another friend after supper. I had the best of intentions. I fully intended on following through and calling. But I completely and totally forgot once supper was over. I should have remembered to call ...

Successful Moment #1 - I opened my bookkeeping job file and started to work at 4:45 p.m. I continued to work until I ran into a snag where I needed outside intervention. I picked up the phone to call for assistance. And that is where my day ended. Again.

I wasted a day. A precious day. What did I do right? Where is my gratitude!?
  • The day began with the best of intentions. I was going to get together with a friend, but in the end she wasn't feeling up to our planned outing. I am grateful to wake up every morning and expect to feel healthy. My friend does not wake up every day to that same luxury.
  • I called a friend. Okay ... I returned my friend's call. The friend that I had intended on calling when my breakfast plans fell through. This is a friend that gets all of the credit for keeping our friendship alive. She has initiated (probably) 98% of the contact between us. Yet she keeps calling. I am so grateful that she does.
  • Cookies. Oh! I was grateful for cookies yesterday!! I have been craving my favorite shortbread chocolate chip cookies that our local grocery store stocks. I savored each bite. Perhaps I bit off more than I should have chewed ... but I was so grateful for their presence in the house yesterday. Cookies sweetened the day.
  • Friends. I have friends. I have friends that call me more than I call them. I have friends that I contact more than they contact me. I have friends where it feels like it is an equal balance between who calls whom. I have friends that don't keep score. They simply do what is natural and right to them, to keep our friendship alive. I am so very grateful that I have friends to call.
  • My health. Can I please be grateful for my health. Again. I take my health for granted. I sleep a long and restful sleep every night. I wake up every morning 'knowing' what to expect when my feet hit the floor. Rarely am I surprised by feeling any different than the way I expect to feel. I know far too many people who do not wake up to this same reality. In fact, a good night's sleep is illusive for many ...
I am rich. I am so very rich. How dare I waste (yet another) day! When you know better ... you should endeavor to do better. Today is a new day. If nothing else, I shall try, try again.

Thankfully I woke up to yet another morning. Just as I expected. So I have the opportunity for a do-over. If everyone should be so lucky...

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
 ~ A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment