Thursday, January 17, 2013

Screening and Studies

I seem to have hit some magical age where suddenly I am on the mailing list for a handful of health screening programs and surveys.

Last night I took part in an ongoing "Study on Aging" survey. The telephone survey itself takes approximately an hour to complete and since I didn't have an appointment set up (I just told her "now" would be a good time), we went as far as time allowed and we are past the half way point.

I would be interested to follow up on my own survey answers as the years progress. When she asked how I would rate my overall health, I responded "Excellent". Every little health concern that I had has been investigated and come up negative. I was quietly pleased "Excellent" was the correct answer for me but I did wonder if I overestimated myself. Until the survey continued ...

She went through a detailed list of health, body and mind questions. To which each and every one of my answers was "no" - I did not have this, that or any of the above. The absolutely only outstanding health condition I have, is high blood pressure (which was diagnosed in my early 20's and has been treated with minimal medication and fully controlled).

The next set of questions were interesting. They tested your 'brain' and consisted of a variety of questions to test your memory and recall. I was ready, willing and able to get right on those (my high achiever mentality thought that I should aim to ace these tests). I could and probably should have done better. But with no time to study and flex my brain muscle, I did my best and she assured me that I did very well (insert smug feeling of pride here).

I am fifty two years into my life and I can honestly say I am in (close to) perfect health. I would say that this would be a most excellent time to renew my life insurance.

It was an interesting survey. As I answered each and every one of these questions, I couldn't help but wonder how I will fair as the next ten, twenty, thirty ... years progress. I suppose one should aspire to keep their body maintained and serviced as well as keeping challenging and tweaking their brain muscle.

Their questions and my answers have given me a goal to keep this body of mine functioning at its best for as long as I live.

But I couldn't help but think that they should have added one additional question to their list of memory questions. And that would be, "Do you remember where you filed your "Participant Consent Form" for the above mentioned survey?" I did find it the first place that I looked ... but I had to sleep on that answer.

Today ... I am grateful for my health. I am so grateful for my health.

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent -
that is to triumph over old age."
~ Thomas Bailey Aldrich

No comments:

Post a Comment