Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Resuming Normal

Normal is a nice place to be. Especially after life has taken an unexpected turn.

Life can take on a tedious nature when we do the same things day in and day out. It is easy to forget to go above and beyond and make our days matter in small ways.

It brightens my day when I reach out of my comfort zone and talk with someone that I know. I love being on the receiving end of such a call but I find it hard to muster the courage to instigate that contact.

I know that 'someday' invitations are too vague. I feel empowered when I set a date, a place and a time to get together with someone.

I have learned that those feelings that I should call, drop by or do something are actions that I must trust myself to follow through on. I cannot begin to count the times that I haven't followed through on my intuition and I should have. I remember well, the many times that I have followed through and it has absolutely been the right thing to do.

I know that I have limited resources and there is just not enough time in the day or days in the week to get to know people as well as I wish that I could. But it takes but a moment to find a way to send the message "I'm thinking of you" to a person that is on my mind.

I like my tedious little life. I relish finding my ruts and being comfortable in my world. But I know that I could be doing more and being more to those that touch my life.

As much as I am glad to be resuming my regularly scheduled life, I hope that I can retain this perspective and add just a little bit of something extra to my days. Simply by following through ...

If these past few weeks have taught me anything, it is that sometimes simply 'showing up' in some capacity is enough. It is not the grand gestures that make a difference. It is those simple acts of kindness that can turn around someone's day.

Life may be returning to normal. It is my hope that it is 'normal' with a difference ...

No comments:

Post a Comment