Saturday, January 12, 2013

Like a Kid in a Candy Store

I have been craving sugar in a way that I have no recollection of experiencing ever before.

Chocolate doesn't appease my need for something sweet. Nor does a chocolate drizzled granola bar. Nor cookies, Pringles (?!?!!) or popcorn. I have been eagerly anticipating my daily chewable orange flavored Vitamin D and if I wasn't fearful of what an overdose of Vitamin D would do for me, I would have polished off that bottle in one sitting (five times over) this week.

I gave gift cards to the Bulk Barn to everyone (but myself) in the house. The mere thought of what that colorful gift card looked like made me salivate. Then our cat came upstairs one night wearing a Bulk Barn bag around his neck (my Middle Son & His Girlfriend must have cashed in on their gift and decided to torment the cat with Bulk Barn neck attire) and my need for sugar hit an all time high.

I delivered flyers after my Daycare Day ended yesterday in -30 degree (with windchill) weather. I was beyond chilly when I hit the 2/3 completion mark and had to come back home to pick up the last of the flyers. I was mildly frozen when I finally finished the job. I walked in the door and asked My Youngest if he was still up for a trip to the Bulk Barn.

My body was not yet unthawed when we set out on our task. I warmed up the car and blasted the hear up to record temperatures (I normally don't exceed the 19 degree setting). And we were off.

Oh. My. Gosh. We walked through the doors at the Bulk Barn and it was candy heaven. We were greeted with the Valentine's Day stock the moment we walked in the door. Then I spotted individually wrapped mini chocolate bars. Then we hit the 'sours' section. I was off and running.

I had no self control whatsoever. I took a scoop of this, that, the other and then every other thing that looked remotely pleasing to the eye. I was most definitely in the thick of a sweet/sour craving as I found more delightful sour candies at the end of the aisle. Then I found the SweeTarts and Love Hearts ...

The selection of candy was a childhood dream. Suddenly I was a 10 year old without a 25 cent allowance standing in the candy aisle that I could have never in my wildest imagination ever dreamed of.

I walked out the door with 4.88 pounds of sugar.


No craving is complete without a Tim Hortons fix. Can you believe when I parked the car at the Bulk Barn ... we were right across the street from a Tim Hortons?? My most favorite take-out meal at the moment is a Tim Hortons BLT, a chocolate dip donut and coffee. Besides ... I needed to coat my stomach with something non-sugary (donuts don't count, do they??) before I went on my sugar binge.

I came home and sat myself down in my most favorite spot in the house. On the love seat, with the coffee table at arm's reach right beside me. I had a taped episode of the Gilmore Girls to watch (with Grey's Anatomy for a chaser). I sat down with my Tim Hortons meal, every remote control that I would need to access all of my TV programming ... and a blanket (yes! I was still half frozen).

I swear. I was in heaven. Every bite of my supper tasted divine. The coffee perfectly offset the onset of sugar that I would soon consume. And the heat. Oh ... the heat! It was heavenly to recapture the feeling in my frozen extremities at the same time that my most innermost dreams were coming true.

Finally. The pièce de résistance ... a bag of sweet/sour candy to appease my sugar cravings. I wish that I would have counted how many pieces of candy it took to satisfy my craving. If I were to guess, I would say that perhaps ten pieces of candy was all that I needed. If I would have had only ten pieces of candy at my side, I would have needed a thousand. The excess depleted my need for sugar ...

Because do you know what?? This morning, I woke up craving salt ...

No comments:

Post a Comment