Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lazy Days and Mondays

Take two lazy weekend days and add a Monday onto that. Not a winning combination, if I do say so myself ...

I had been doing a marvelous job of keeping myself busy. No more mid-afternoon siestas. I wasn't falling asleep on the couch after supper. I was busy or my mind was occupied for the better part of most days. It was a good run. Until Saturday morning.

I woke up and it felt like I had lead weights attached to each and every one of my limbs. My body did not want to move out of bed ... nor did my mind have the inclination to convince my body otherwise. So I slept. Oh ... heavenly sleep!

I convinced myself that this was a backlog of missing sleep that had accumulated over the week. I am sure that (in part) this was true. It felt beyond heavenly to succumb to my whims after a week of overriding them.

Then I had no burning desire to leave my room. Why? I had no reason why I could not indulge myself. Sure, I had papers to deliver. But I had an illusive 8:00 p.m. deadline for that job (I despise illusive deadlines ... I really do!).

Eventually, I wandered out of my room and onto the couch. Our cat found me and used me as his human mattress for the afternoon. And I was more than just a little bit fine with that.

I got dressed at 4:00 p.m. and finished delivering papers by 6:00. I threw together some leftovers (ah! the joys of actually cooking meals) and called it supper. I was back in my pj's by 7:00 p.m.

Saturday? Was pretty much a write off. Sunday? Not a lot better.

I had a coffee date in the morning, so I had to get out of bed and dressed. But ... having no agenda for the rest of the day, I let the afternoon slip through my fingers.

It felt absolutely wonderful while it lasted. Another 'lost weekend'. But the downside of that? Monday morning.

I slept in an extra hour and lost my cherished morning time to myself. The computer was more stubborn than usual (the computer is not a 'morning person' and has to be rebooted each and every morning otherwise it runs slower than frozen molasses). Add three small children and stir.

It wasn't a terrible day. It just wasn't good either.

Today's strategy? I slept in only 45 minutes instead of an hour. I shut down the computer last night to speed up the start-up process this morning. My head is spinning with thoughts so that I do not 'rinse and repeat' the events of this past weekend.

Everything seems so easy in my head. Follow-through is not my strong point right now.

In the past, I saturated myself with positive input during times like this. Oprah was my medicine of choice. I am craving positive input and I do not have the oomph to work for it. I want to turn on the TV set and have it spoon fed to me. Like I always did before.

I was thrilled to find that we actually have the OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) channel, when we finally got our digital cable TV box. I was more than a little disappointed to see the programming on this network. It (appears to me) is full of the fluff that all of the other channels provide. Along with Oprah reruns where she (primarily) interviews famous people. Where did the inspiration go?

I am in search of positive, encouraging, inspirational and easy to digest positive input. Preferably at the flick of a switch, at the end of my day ... any ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment