Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Life Well Lived

How can one put words to the impact one person has made during their lifetime? Where do you begin when someone has a lifetime full of memories and has made a great impact on so many people?

Her son walked us through her life. From her childhood to her first job to marriage, children, grandchildren and many little anecdotes about the way she made a difference to our world. She walked quietly through her life, raised a family and created a home that welcomed one and all.

"I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no “brief candle” for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."

~George Bernard Shaw

For me, the sadness was lifted when my cousin read those words that his mom had written down in her notebook.

She lived a full life. She lived for her family and she loved each of them uniquely and equally ... her body was simply 'all used up' and tired. I would like to think that if she could be looking down upon her family  and how they have all come together to endure these past few weeks, her heart would swell with joy and pride in the legacy she left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment