Saturday, November 17, 2012

Some Days Go Nothing Like You've Planned ...

... but they end up being the best day you could have ever hoped for!

I allowed myself the luxury of sleeping in until 8:00 this morning so that everyone else would have an opportunity to have breakfast and start their day before I entered the 'community zone' (aka: kitchen). Sometimes people just need a little bit of space when living under the same roof. That was the thought with which my day started.

Then ... I planned to get up and write. I wanted to update my Daycare Blog, write a few lines here and possibly send off an email or two if I had some words left over. Then I had bookkeeping work to do; flyers to deliver; a car to be washed; and one or two quick errands to run.

I had an agenda. I didn't have it all mapped out in my mind but the list was made. I had a purpose.

Then ... I wandered into the kitchen.

My Son had just walked in and had a cup of coffee in hand. Conversation flowed so I took my coffee and sat down at the kitchen table. We just chatted. Conversations like we had can't be planned, but when they unfold so easily and one thing leads to the next you know that you must follow where ever they take you.

They took us door shopping. Door knobs, deadbolt locks and doors were the last item on the Odds & Ends list that I have been tackling this week. So door-shopping it was. My Son acts like he enjoys this type of outing and I knew that I wanted a second set of ears, eyes and voice on the matter so I was pleased that he agreed to accompany me.

Doors are expensive. There are some pretty awesome doors out there. But the prices can sure add up. We talked to three different people at three different stores. We got a written quote; one is coming by email; and we got a verbal estimate from the last place.

After all was said and done, I found the words, "I think I'll settle for door knobs and weather stripping" fall off my tongue. And that's what 'we' did. Well ... I did the buying. My Son did the installing (while I went out and delivered papers)...

I returned home to a message from a friend (telephone tag is a game that I seem to be perfecting) and an email message from another friend. I returned the phone call (and left another message) and replied to the email.

Thanks to that email response, I ended up going out to a movie and an after-movie-snack with a friend.

I have now just nicely settled back in at home and I am more than a little pleased that I have found excess words in me at the end of a day. This hasn't happened in a very, very long time. By the time the sun sets, it seems my quota of words for the day has been spent and I have very little left in me.

Today had great potential. I had a purpose and a plan. The day went nothing like I expected it to go, but it went better than I could have ever hoped.

Tomorrow? I also have a 'plan'. I wonder where the day will take me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment