Thursday, October 25, 2012

It All Started With a Batch of Pumpkin Muffins ...

I have been battling some minor frustrations in my new daycare provider role. Nothing that I can't overcome ... just little things. Like the small things that I used to be able to squeeze into my daycare day. like cooking, cleaning and baking.

The minute I walk into the kitchen, I have three shadows. Although I'm grateful to know exactly where they are and what they are doing ... I do not want them underfoot when I'm working around the oven. So I don't spend any more time than absolutely necessary in the kitchen (anyone who knows me would wonder what has changed!?).

Yesterday, I tried something novel. The minute lunch was over, I started combining the dry ingredients together to make some muffins. I did that quickly and without interruption, so I took a chance and mixed the wet ingredients together. Still uninterrupted, I mixed everything together and poured my batter into a loaf pan and a cupcake tray.

I did it! I baked something tasty (and a little bit healthy) for snack time. The house smelt like a home, my kids were happy and I was content. I finally did something 'above and beyond'. It felt a little bit wonderful. Then the phone rang ...

It was a prospective parent, looking for childcare for her 2 1/2 year old daughter, beginning November 1st. Our conversation was easy. She found me via one of my (many?) Internet advertisements. She acted like she knew me so I am guessing that she found her way to my website. I will meet her today. She said she would drop by so she could pick up any paperwork that I have and she would bring that with her when she brings her daughter to meet me (and my Daycare Family) tomorrow. It sounds very promising...

Fueled by the good vibes that the pumpkin muffin aroma was creating in the air, I decided to pick up the phone while my Daycare Family napped. I followed up on an email that I had sent off at the beginning of the month and struck a deal with the papers that I write for. It is official. I am a 'freelance writer' ... I have been doing this since March, but it was basically on a 'trial basis'. But now? It is real. < Insert 'yee haw' and happy dance here>.

I am not one for picking up the phone and dialing it. But I was on a roll. It has been almost three weeks since my sleep apnea test. I felt quite certain that no news was good news. Or if nothing else, that the test was inconclusive. But I thought I would confirm it. My doctor had been (and is still) away, so this isn't official. But the test came up 'negative'. I was pretty certain that it would. I believe I have honed the skill (developed the habit/ability) of falling asleep the moment my body and mind sit still for a moment. I was just glad to tick that off my I-wonder-what-will-happen-next list.

Then the phone rang. It was a parent that I used to babysit for. She was going to refer another parent to my daycare (unfortunately it was to take care of a one year old and those spots are full). Once we got 'business' out of the way, we had a most wonderful conversation.

The day was sprinkled with good news. It started out like any other. But the tides started to change the moment I baked those pumpkin muffins. I wonder what would happen if I actually tried cooking supper ...

No comments:

Post a Comment