Thursday, July 19, 2012

When Life Gets Too Serious ...

... the serious go dancing!

My head has been consumed with deep thoughts about serious issues for far too long. I'm glad that I see beyond the frivolous but I felt the need to look beyond 'real life' yesterday.

I had four quick errands to run. I had my route planned so that I didn't back-track or dilly dally. It was a quick and efficient plan.

Part of my route consisted of driving past the dance studio. "Drats!" I thought, "I should have called to book a dance lesson." As luck would have it, the studio had just opened. Since I was driving right past it, I didn't have to go out of my way to stop in and book that lesson in person.

Oh ... the feeling that I get when I walk through those doors is nothing short of pure joy. I feel my mood lighten, my eyes sparkle and the corners of my mouth turn into a smile.

A lesson was in progress, so I slipped past and talked to the owner to I book my lesson. They are in the final stages of preparing to go to a dance competition. Excitement, tension and a little bit of stress was in the air. It was fun to get in on feeling some of the pre-competition-vibes that were present in the room.

I eventually booked my lesson for later in the afternoon. As I was on my way out, the student whose lesson was in progress stopped me to tell me that she had been planning on calling me and quickly relayed what she wanted to tell me. My smile grew and my heart felt like I was 'home'.

I came back for my lesson a few hours later and it felt wonderful to be back in the studio. I talked my instructor's ears off for the duration of the time that we had before my lesson started, we danced and the other students that were in the studio at the time were people I knew.

Full-time employment would allow me to go back and pursue my dancing. If I could be granted just one wish, it would be for a full-time job position which would open up the doors to the dance studio once again.

I have been taking life far too seriously lately! One short dance lesson opened my eyes to what is missing in my world. Not only dancing, but the community within the dance studio.

It felt good to be back. I need to find a way to stay.

There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them.
~Vicki Baum

No comments:

Post a Comment