Saturday, July 7, 2012

Summer of 2012 ... Week One

As I find myself easing into the summer holiday/work season, I am grateful for many things:
  • Feet that work! I have worked four consecutive days where I have been on my feet all day. The only complaint that I had was when I wore sandals the first day. Once I switched back into a fully enclosed shoe with the support that my orthotics needed, my feet felt tired. But not sore. They didn't throb. My bunions were a non-issue. This must be how it feels to have 'normal' feet. I'm lovin' it!! Score another one for my amazing podiatrist and the wonder-orthotics that he has working for me. At this rate, I'll eventually make my way back to the dance studio!
  • Last weekend. I'm grateful that I enjoyed the days in a leisurely fashion and spent time with people that matter to me. I didn't know how this week would unfold and I'm glad that I went into Week #1 of my summer work schedule feeling ready to tackle whatever the week would bring.
  • A schedule. Job #2 comes with a two-week schedule. Granted, this schedule comes with the caveat. The phone can (and does) ring and alter what I thought the day would bring. But ... I have the option to decline any changes that don't suit me. And ... I have the benefit of making myself unavailable to work as long as they receive enough notice. I feel like I have some flexibility. When it comes to the need to have a second job ... flexibility is key.
  • Consecutive days off. So far, so good. These days may not land on a weekend, but that is okay. I would much prefer to have two to three days off in a row, verses a day of here, there and anywhere. It leaves me with the feeling that I can still have a life. And plan!!
  • Income. I didn't know if I could afford an uncertain financial state throughout the summer if I had no idea what the fall would bring. I had high hopes that I would be have a full-time position at Job #1 this fall. Things could still change ... but I have been guaranteed one thing. A (.3) position. One and a half days of guaranteed work at the contract rate of pay. And ... I do have a second job to continue to subsidize the variable income factor. I still have a back-up-plan to fall back on. I am grateful that one year after my initial leap of faith, I didn't need to rely on the emergency back-up fund that I had liquidated.
  • Hopes and dreams. Yes, I still have room to dream even though this summer isn't unfolding the way that I thought it would. I may not have endless time with little or no structure. But I see a summer unfolding where I can create what I need, with the time that I have been given.
I am one week in to summer vacation. By the end of this weekend, I will have worked six out of ten days ... followed by three consecutive days off.

It may not be a summer of leisure. But as it is with everything else in my life, I know with great certainty that when I am looking back upon the Summer of 2012 ... I will see that it was everything that I needed it to be. It always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment