Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Straw

You know the one ... "the last straw" ... "the straw that broke the camel's back". That straw.

I can look back on my life and recognize and remember the final crushing blow that determined that there was no going back.

Changing jobs, ending relationships, moving, altercations of any kind. There is a moment in time when you recognize that a cycle must stop. The end.

I've always been a 'three strikes, you're out' kind of girl. I believe in second chances. And third ones too. I have not yet crossed the line and gone for the fourth strike.

I believe in giving people and situations a fair chance. I will be the first to point out the error in my ways when things go wrong. It takes two to tango and it takes two to argue. When things go wrong, I know that I am also at fault.

But I have chosen to walk away from situations where there is no happy ending. Some situations drain you from the very core and change who you are. Some things are simply not good for your health. I vividly remember the words "... you will die an early death" ran through my mind if I stayed in one situation. Nothing good can come of ongoing stress.

If something is causing you to lose sleep ... if a situation is changing you into someone you don't feel good about ... if stress levels are high and you can feel your body is taking a beating ... listen to your inner voice. Some times you have to know when to walk away.

It was the last straw that broke the camel's back

Possible interpretation: There is a limit to everything. We can load the camel with lots of straw, but finally it will be too much and the camel's back will break. And it is only a single straw that breaks its back - the last straw. This can be applied to many things in life. People often say "That's the last straw!" when they will not accept any more of something.
~ from http://www.englishclub.com/http://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Sayings/I/It_was_the_last_straw_that_broke_the_camel_s_back_503.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment