Friday, July 6, 2012

It's All About Priorities

I am finding that there is a lot that I like about being on the substitute list at work. In the (almost) eleven months that I have been with my employer, I have worked at 25 different locations. For a girl who loves routine, comfort and security ... I can't believe that I'm saying this. But I have actually enjoyed the variety once I learned to relax and go with the flow.

As I worked my way through the system, I was surprised at how many people have two jobs. As a substitute, with a variable income I understand the need. But what made me stop and think, is the number of people who hold onto that second (or third) job once they are working full-time. If a person is working in a 10-month position, I get it. But those that are in a 12-month position and still juggling numerous jobs? It makes me stop and pause.

Our world is changing. It is nothing unusual for people to have a mortgage of a quarter or half a million dollars. Housing prices have gone through the roof and it takes creative budgeting to manage a mortgage payment. Then there are the bills, taxes and insurance; upkeep and maintenance; the high costs of owning and maintaining a vehicle; and our ever-increasing costs of living.

Debt loads are high. How many people own their car ... let alone their house? I hate to think of the average amount of credit card debt that is carried forward from month to month. Year to year.

Simply paying the bills is becoming a daunting task. Then you add 'wants' onto that list?? And you are looking at the need for a second income.

I have listened to the stories of those that I work with. Certainly, there are people that are doing what needs to be done. A two-income family is suddenly downsized to one income. How many people does this affect? Loss of a job; marital break-down; illness or injury. It could happen to anyone. And it does.

I get it. We do what we have to do to get by. But what if .... what if a person was working all of those jobs because their house is not a home that they want to return to? What if ... their home does not provide the sense of calmness and security that we all need?

Money can't buy a happy home. When I remember and reflect on that, I know how rich that I am.

I lead a simple life. My debt load is minimal compared to most. I just realized that I will be able to pay all of my bills with the 1.5 day position that I was hired for, this fall. Anything above that goes to cover food, gas and spending. Six days of work per month pays my bills.

I want to go home at night. I savor my days off at home. Our home feels safe, secure and I feel happy within these walls. I love inviting family and friends into our home. I want to be here. I would love nothing more than to find a way to earn a living within these walls ... I remember commenting that "Everything that I need is under this roof", when I worked from home. I long to say that again.

I hope that I will always feel this richness within. I hope that work never becomes my escape. If our house becomes a place that I do not want to come home to ... no amount of money could cover that deficit.

I am working like I don't need the money. It is a very good place to be.

It's all about priorities. I like where mine are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment