Saturday, June 2, 2012

Airing My Dirty Laundry

How often do you wash your sheets? I know that I learned that it should be a once-a-week chore. I used to adhere to that. But in this Life of Living Lazily, I have bent that rule.

The rule is so bent that I don't even think it exists any more. I play it by ear. If I don't crawl into bed feeling like the bedding should be laundered, I think to myself good enough. Why waste energy when it is not necessary. I call it 'living green'.

Since I gave up the habit of eating chips in bed, I rarely find that my sheets feel dirty. Since I gave up working hard and sweating, I rarely feel that my bedding even gets dirty. Since I kicked my cat out of my bedroom at night, even the cat hair isn't an issue. Since I am the sole owner and utilizer of the aforementioned bed, it seems that my adaptation of the rules-my-mother-taught-me can be adapted with the new and changing times.

The last time I washed my sheets and made the bed, one corner of the fitted sheet ripped as I was stretching it further than it wanted to be stretched. The elastic remained intact and held the sheet in place and I thought good enough ... until the next time I wash the sheets.

This morning as I laid in bed, I knew the time had come. I have washed the windows and blinds more recently than I have washed my bedding. Today was the day. Except ... I had to mend the corner of the fitted sheet first.

This should have been a quick and easy task. If I had a sewing machine, it could have been. But ever since I gave up the one and only sewing machine that sewed properly, for a used and improved garage sale model with the ultra-fancy-accessory of zig-zag ... I have not had a sewing machine that worked.

I sent my garage sale model out to be fixed, brought it home and didn't try it out again for another year or so. When I did, the tension of the thread still made a bungled mess. I believe my mom found me my next sewing machine. If I remember correctly, it was also a garage sale model. The first time that I had to change the thread, it never sewed properly again (in retrospect, I wonder if I just never did figure out how to thread the new machines??). I think I sent that out for repair. All I remember is ... I haven't had a sewing machine that sewed properly for at least 20 years.

Any mending that is done around here, is done by hand. It may not be quick and it isn't pretty. But it can be done. Thus, you can imagine the procrastination that is involved when it comes to any kind of sewing repairs.

Add my Lazy Woman's Guide to sheet washing frequency to that equation and ... Houston! We have a problem.

It took an extra dose of ambition to crawl out of bed this morning, knowing that not only did I have to wash the sheets today ... but I had to mend them as well.

Short story, even longer ... it has been three hours since I got up. And I'm finally writing this post. Need I say more?

The deed is done. Until next time.

The mended corner held while I stretched the other three corners to ease the strain on the weakest link. My bed looks exactly the same as it has every single day that preceded this dastardly deed. But when I crawl into it tonight? I shall feel like I am sleeping in a light spring breeze (if the fabric softener does everything it claims to do).

Clean windows. Clean blinds. Clean oven. Clean under the fridge and stove. Add clean sheets to that equation and .... I have a house that looks absolutely the same as it did several weeks ago.

Housework. Is it really worth it??

"There was no need to do any housework at all.
After the first four years, the dirt doesn't get any worse."
~Quentin Crisp

No comments:

Post a Comment