Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Walking it Off

I came home from work yesterday with little to nothing left in me.

It wasn't a bad day. It was a my-head-is-too-tired-to-think-anymore kind of day. It was a day that my body was still worn out from the rigors I put it through on the weekend. I came home ... empty.

I was grateful for the frozen meat sauce that I had on hand, thus I was able to put together supper with no fuss nor muss. And it was a little bit good for us (spaghetti, meat sauce, Caesar salad and garlic toast didn't sound bad for a girl who barely had the energy to make toast).

This is where yesterday's story would end, if I hadn't signed up to go to a Zumba class last night. I'm quite certain that one phone call would have gotten me out of that commitment but I knew that I would feel better if I went. So I did.

The point to ponder was the 45 minutes that I had to spare after I finished supper and before the class. That was enough time to walk to the class. But my excuse was that I would be too exhausted to walk home afterwards.

So I hedged. I hummed and hawed. I saw and heard the couch calling out to me and trying to entice me into the land of slumber that my body and mind wanted so badly. I wasted five minutes fighting my inner demons. Sleep and oblivion verses exercise and doing something that was good for myself.

Walking won.

I took my weary body and walked it right out the door. I didn't have much oomph left in me for the Zumba class. My knees went half as high as the rest of the class and my 'bounce' consisted of a weight change between my feet, but I thought 'this is still better than sleeping the night away'.

So I endured the hour. It was a long hour. My brain and body were now officially spent. And I still had to walk home.

Walking is one of the best things that I can do for myself. Thoughts drift in and out of my mind. I let the negative stuff go and the positive floats to the surface. Breathing deeply, moving and enjoying the fresh air pushed me through my exhaustion.

I got home and hopped in the shower. I sat erect on the couch while my hair dried. There were two minutes left on the show I was watching before I could officially say goodnight to My Youngest and call it a day. I let my head rest on a pillow for just a minute ...

I woke up to realize that I missed the end of my show. The cliff hanger (which house did they choose on House Hunters International??). Two minutes and I couldn't do it.

I'm glad that I didn't succumb to the temptation of sleeping it off last night. Walking it off was a much better way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment