Sunday, May 27, 2012

Life Renovations I

I wrote yesterday's post about renovating my life, hit publish and immediately started to find little ways to gut this life of mine and get back down to the basics.

The first thing that I decided was to walk to my 11:00 a.m. Zumba class. I wasn't sure how long it would take to get there but I knew that I had no time to lose. I got out the door by 10:20 and arrived with only moments to spare.

I love the thoughts that waft through my head when I walk. I was immediately transported back in time. Back to when I delivered papers before the city woke up. I was outside, getting exercise, enjoying the only quiet and solitude that I would know in those days and thoughts had a chance to free fall through my mind.

I need to walk with a purpose in mind. I have a very hard time ambling through the city streets. I like a destination or company. Or both. So when I got home I contacted a potential walking buddy in the neighborhood to see if she may be interested in meeting up and visiting as we walk to destinations unknown.

Forty minutes of walking; followed by one hour of Zumba; wrapped up with another forty minute (probably 45 minutes because I took a detour) walk home and all I could think of was what I wanted to have for lunch. I took enough money with me to enable a lunch break at the Tim Hortons that I walked past. I could have picked up a Slurpee. I could have stopped at any number of spots along the way to fulfill any craving that I may have had. And all I wanted was the chicken and vegetables that I knew that I had at home. Amazing!

The second part of my Life Renovation came to me as I was planning my walk to Zumba. I would start 'cleaning house'. Not necessarily in a Spring Cleaning type of fashion ... but more of an Out With the Old theme. It is time to clear the clutter from our closets, drawers and my mind. This would be Part 2 of my renovation plan ...

Except ... I was afraid that I may lose my momentum once I sat down and had my lunch. So before I finished cooking lunch, I sprayed the oven with oven cleaner so that I could not stop once lunch was over. And it worked!

The oven and stove are sparkling clean for the first time in about a year. I do believe that I may put up a sign which reads "For Your Viewing Pleasure Only - Please Cook Elsewhere!" And that is the very first thing that I did when my Second Son called to let me know that he and My Youngest were on their way home from the farm (they had been out mowing the lawn together and were coming home hungry). I fired up the barbeque and the sparking clean stove kept winking at me as I assembled the second healthy meal of the day. Outside.

After supper, I couldn't resist the kitchen appliances as they called out to me. Sure the oven was clean ... but what about underneath and around it?? I must pull it out and clean that as well. And I couldn't ignore the fridge once the stove was out. So the kitchen is clean in all of the places where no one looks. But I can feel it!

I feel the nooks and crannies of the kitchen are finally getting the attention they deserve. As I tended to that which is not seen around the house, I can feel a similar cleansing of my mind unfolding. As I worked and moved, the thoughts that had been hiding and taunting me came out into the open and I exorcised them as I worked. Small epiphanies and relatable situations of the past came to light.

Before I renovate my life, I have some housecleaning to do. First ... I must get rid of the dirt that is weighing me down. Next ... I must rid myself of the excesses and get back down to the basics. After the groundwork is laid ... I will see exactly what needs to be added.

I just have to keep the momentum going ...

The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.
~Agatha Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment