Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I Cleaned a Window ... and It Felt Good!

I didn't get called to work yesterday and I made the most out of the day ...

I started off by tackling a work-project that I had been working on the day prior. I had updated and proof read a 22 page booklet. I went to print it off so that we had a hard copy to proof and POOF! I was kicked out of the program and all the changes that I made to the document were lost. So I reedited the document (it doesn't take as long the second time around), printed it off and the day began.

I called a friend to see how she was doing. I asked if there was anything that she needed or wanted. She thought for a millisecond and said, "A strawberry milkshake!" I drilled her for details and she told me exactly what to get and where to get it. I picked up a shake for myself, made a home-delivery and we had a short visit.

I was out and about anyway so decided to call on others that live in her neighborhood. I ended up at my aunt and uncles for a 'quick' visit. I ended up staying for a cinnamon bun, a donut, two cups of tea and an hour and a half!

I was on a bit of a sugar high after my morning indulgences and I put that energy to work.

I came home and took down the blinds in the kitchen so that I could scour them. They were embarrassingly dirty and it took more than an hour to do the job but once it was done, cleaning the window was small potatoes. Simply cleaning the inside made the world of difference. Add an outside cleansing and it was like the whole world shone from the inside, looking out.

I had the ladder out anyway and cleaned the living room window while I was at it. Plus the screen doors. A smart person would have cleaned the bedroom windows at the same time but I was running out of time and I thought I'd save that elation for another day.

I have been putting off cleaning my windows for longer than I care to admit. A job that one continues to put off month after month; year after year becomes bigger than it really is.

It felt good to let the sun shine in and show me the rest of the dirt that needs to be dealt with around here. There weren't enough hours in the day, but I started.

I have been allowing a multitude of tasks around here overwhelm me. When the job becomes too big and overwhelms you, you lose the ambition to begin.

Small steps. It all starts by getting off the couch and making the decision to do one thing. One thing may lead to another. It may not. But accomplishing one thing is better than nothing.

I cleaned a window yesterday. One window led to another. One window at a time, the sun will start shining inside our home again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment