Friday, April 13, 2012

Running

Last fall I felt a dire need to run away. Away from home. Away from work. Away from life. I felt the need to hop in the car and put some physical distance between me and my troubles.

I followed through with my desire. I didn't run far or for long but I did some healing and strengthened my inner reserves and headed back home ready to take on the world again.

Lately I've been feeling a little bit of that same feeling. With a difference. I didn't need or want to run away. The words "I want to run towards" resonated in my mind. But I talked myself out of voicing that sentiment. I simply stated that I wanted to go and spend a day with myself.

Today was that day. I was in a bit of a funk last night and I couldn't pull myself out of the doldrums. So I sat and scribbled a list of some of the things I could do with the day that I was going to call my own. It was enough to keep me occupied if I left the house and felt I had no where to go. As it turns out, I didn't need that list.

My day started with talking with a friend which was the starting point of a day that I could have never planned.

One friend led to another. I talked, dropped by and visited with a small group of friends. A friend at a time.

Each friend I spoke to inspired me. I felt energized with each visit. Each friend held a small piece of what I didn't even realize that I needed today.

I have had such a negative force field around me lately that I have refrained from calling, emailing or initiating visits with people. I haven't wanted to spread my negativity ... so I kept it to myself.

Today I was driven by something different. I needed to be a friend. In giving a little piece of myself and my time, I received so much more.

Today I ran towards my friends. It was exactly where I needed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment