Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oooo! What a Week!!

I have been too busy (occupied) to write this week. Things are happening in my little world ...

I worked at a most wonderful school on Monday. The expectations were laid out in black and white. I was told what to do and how to do it. The day was filled with work and responsibilities that I have never been given before. The staff were wonderful and they welcomed me with open arms. It was a very good day.

I came home from work to find a message from a (part-time) job that I applied for last Friday. They asked if I could come in for an interview. I listened to the message seven hours after they left it, but I immediately picked up the phone and called. I arrived for my interview ten minutes later.

I got the job. I went for my orientation at 7:00 Tuesday morning. My new boss will call on Thursday (today) to set up a time for my training.

I was scheduled to work at the same school again today. I found out on Monday, that they had a half-time secretary position that needed to be filled. From now, until the end of June. I found out today, that I got the job!! I get to stay!!!

I will be working there for more than 20 days, so my hourly pay rate will go up to the next step. So I get a raise, to boot!

Could the day get better? Yes.

I got home to find a cheque from my insurance company to reimburse me (in part) for my orthotics. I was expecting $200.00; I received $420.00 (I guess I should ask them to mail me an up-to-date booklet, but it is fun to be surprised)!! I was going to be $100.00 short to cover this month's bills. I needed $90.00 to pay for a sign language class that I start on Saturday. This little unexpected bonus covered what I needed and gave me a $30.00 bonus (which will cover the cost of the text book required for my course)!

I now have a guaranteed half-time wage. I will have a part-time job. I am still on the substitute list so I hope to get called to work on the days I'm not scheduled at my new school. My work situation is looking good. I still cannot count my chickens before they hatch but I'm starting to think of names for them!

Yesterday, I read an article that I had written about a month ago. I felt as though I had hit a wall. Specifically, I pinpointed my job, my finances and my feet as the three areas in need of improvement. Little over one month later, my job, my finances and my feet are all headed in a much better direction.

I have been feeling like I have been spinning my wheels lately. Somewhere deep, deep down inside of me I felt that the tides had to change one day. I just had no idea when.

All of these good things are very reminiscent of this past fall. I am starting two new jobs once again. I will be working with new people. I am starting from scratch. Again. But with one very important benefit. My role as a substitute has given me a lot of experience in being 'new'. Let's hope that pulls me through these transitional weeks ahead ...

No comments:

Post a Comment