Monday, April 23, 2012

Living a Weekend to the Fullest

I don't know how long I have before I will be scheduled to work at my second job. I was expecting a call last week but it didn't come. So I have been making the most of my evenings and weekends while I have them.

This past weekend was pretty much ... perfect.

I woke up Friday morning with a purpose. I wrote a list of things to do first thing in the morning. If I didn't get called into work, I had a plan.

I didn't get to work, but I kept busy.

I had two emails that I wanted to send. That was the most important order of business so I did that first thing. Then I picked up the phone.

One call led to the next ... and the next ... and the next. One conversation would remind me that I wanted to talk to another person. That conversation reminded me that there was someone else that I should call. One forgotten birthday reminded me of another missed birthday so I called that person too. I talked on the phone all morning.

Then came my errands. I didn't have to do a lot but it filled the rest of my afternoon. By the time my car was turned around and headed home, I realized that I was ending my errand-day at the same time that I would have ended my work day. It was a very good feeling to fill my 'working hours' with things that mattered.

After supper, I was out running one last quick errand and I found myself a block away from a friend's home. I dropped by and we had a nice little visit. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

Saturday was much the same. Less people, but one thing led to the next and the next and the next. The day was filled up with an appointment; a few phone conversations; an afternoon class; a visit and back home to enjoy the evening.

I couldn't believe it when Sunday unfolded in the same fashion. I had a feeling the day could slip away on me so I started my day by coloring my hair. The phone rang and I chatted until the color had to be rinsed out of my hair. I showered and the moment I was done, breakfast was ready and waiting for me. A leisurely breakfast and coffee transformed into an afternoon with a friend and a visit with my aunt before I made my way home again. Supper was a joint effort and came together effortlessly and was a pretty tasty end to a most flavorful weekend.

I had a few things that I wanted to accomplish last night. Most evenings I would have succumbed to exhaustion before I completed my mission. But I got my second wind after My Youngest went to bed and finished what I set out to do before I called it a day.

Unfortunately I didn't do any cleaning or make headway in some of the unfinished projects I have around here. But I lived each moment of the weekend to the fullest. I won't look back and regret weekends like this one.

It was a weekend where every moment counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment