Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Fingers Did the Walking ...

I must have some pretty physically fit fingers. Oh, the miles that they put on in a day ...

First off, I have my morning pit stop to write here for a while. This is my spot to empty my early morning thoughts. Mornings are my prime writing time. If I have emails to send, early morning is when I prefer to send them.

I have sent off hundreds of resumes/writing samples to four provinces ... all from the comfort of my computer chair. I have approached 301 newspapers about writing a column. I have received four successful replies. I could have never hand delivered that many resumes. I increased my chances by letting my fingers do the walking.

Yesterday morning, I branched out and let my fingers do some walking through the yellow pages.

Earlier this week, I booked an appointment to get my car windshield replaced. When I balked at the original price without even thinking, the person on the other end of the phone politely asked if I would like for them to check to see if they could do better on the price. Of course I said yes. They came down $110.00 from the original quote so I booked it. When I told My Son about this, he recommended that I check around a little more. He was displeased with their service the last few times he went there and thought I could do better.

My fingers did some walking and at first it seemed that their price was comparable with most others, plus they had the added convenience of being open on Saturday. I almost gave up but decided to pursue the one business that I hadn't been able to reach. I hit the bonanza. The worst-case-scenario price was $120.00 lower than the worst-case-scenario price at the place I had originally checked out. Plus, they are open Saturday. Plus they throw in a free 'Express Detail' (clean and vacuum the interior) with the deal. Plus this guy was so, so nice. He was 'all about service' and I was thoroughly impressed.

I saved myself a fair little bit of pocket change by letting my fingers do the walking.

I was so successful with that, I decided to phone another podiatrist to see if I could find an office that had hours that worked better for me. One phone call and I found a place that is not only open three evenings a week ... but they have an opening tonight. Happy feet, here I come!! Thanks to a little stroll my fingers did through the yellow pages (upon the referral of a friend) and dialing the phone. No cost savings for their service, but booking an appointment without having to make myself unavailable to work to accommodate the appointment time could save me a day's (potential) loss of wages.

My fingers and long distance phone package keep me connected to those in my life who are not email-aholics. I can hop, skip and jump all over the countryside thanks to the luxury of our Internet connection.

My fingers are powered by my brain, so my brain also receives a small work-out as I string my words together at the computer keyboard each morning.

It's a small thing, but it is something. My fingers have taken me places that I could have only dreamed of and they have provided me with some cost savings to boot.

My subconscious finger to brain connection is so keen that I am afraid what would happen to my brain if my fingers gave out on me. And vice versa.

If my brain ever stops fully functioning, would someone please pass me a computer keyboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment