Thursday, March 8, 2012

Living For the Weekend

Is it because I am back in school (working) again? Or is anyone else out there counting down the days to the weekend?

Last week, my work-week energized me. I found myself surrounded by people and situations that motivated me. Student counsellors, principals and teachers were a great source of inspiration. I ended the week on a high note.

This week, it has been more 'all about the job'. My work days have taken a lot of energy out of me as I try to figure out how to prioritize my responsibilities in a manner so that I can effectively do my job.

Tuesday, I learned how to do something right better ... by doing it wrong inefficiently first. I took that lesson with me into Wednesday.

Wednesday, I didn't have my priorities figured out. I started my day backwards and moved forward through it. I survived the day, but the morning was a bit of a disaster learning curve.

Today (Thursday), I will take the lessons learned from Tuesday and Wednesday and have a better day.

Friday, the students have the day off of school which means about 90% of my current responsibilities will be unnecessary. Friday frightens me more than the rest of the week combined.

Each week is full of surprises. Each school has its own set of challenges. I would rather work hard, than have to try and fill my day trying to look busy.

My week is defined by work. Therein lies my problem. I need to add an extra dimension to my weeks.

Whether it is devoting an hour of my evening towards our family's history book ... connecting with a friend ... cleaning a cupboard ... or running an errand to free up the upcoming weekend. I must do something besides come home, eat supper, read until I get weary and then fall asleep on the couch.

I need to regain some balance into my life.

Monday - Friday is defined by work. Will I work? Where will I work? Will I know what to do when I get to work? I can't wait to get back home after a day of work.

Saturday - Sunday is not defined. I have a vague idea of what I want to accomplish with those days but I tend to go with the wind. Sometimes the wind takes me exactly where I want and need to go. Other times there is no wind and I sit idle and waste those two precious days.

Balance (to me) = work + fun + family + friends + sense of accomplishment + alone time

I thrive on a sense of accomplishment. I need to bring that into my day no matter what day of the week it is (or if I am called in to work or not).

Talking with friends and family stimulates my mind, gives me an opportunity to sort out my thoughts and regain a sense of perspective by listening to others. There is a give and take to those conversations that invigorates me.

I savor the solitude in my day. I wake up early to ensure I have time to listen to my own thoughts and (usually) write my way into the morning with a cup of coffee at my side.

Routine. As much as I crave it, I love the ability to be spontaneous. The freedom and ability to do something on a whim adds a dimension of excitement into my life.

Balance. Seven days a week. That is my goal.

I may still count down the days to the weekend, but I will not fritter away five days in the hope of making up for it on the weekend.  Seven good days are better than two.

It is time to go forth and make the best of what is left of this week.

1 comment:

  1. I've been counting down the days to the weekend ever since I walked through the doors in Grade 1

    ReplyDelete