Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Sweet Day

I worked at an elementary school yesterday. Valentine's Day was in the air!

The teachers mentioned that the kids seemed to be more hyped about Valentine's Day, than they had been over Christmas.

From where I sat (in the secretary's chair), it felt like business-as-usual. But the difference was in the cupcakes.

Kids brought treats to share and wandered the hallways spreading their good cheer and tasty treats. How could you say no to that?

I was just working at the school for the day so I didn't feel deserving of the treats being lavished upon the staff. Nor did I want to hurt anyone's feelings so after I ensured that they had ample to go around, I did have a few cupcakes and a nanaimo bar.

As I told one young lad that I didn't feel right accepting these treats because I wasn't a regular staff member at the school, he looked me in the eye and insisted that I should take one. His eyes twinkled and his smile lit up the hallway as I thanked him by name and told him how kind he was.

It was a day that felt like it was all about giving. Caring, sharing and making someone smile. It was a most perfect Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment