Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Dream Vacation

This week has been a gift. A gift of time. Which is allowing me to finally work on following through on one of my unfinished goals of last year.

I stopped in my tracks last year and never really regained my momentum. Then, I allowed myself to be distracted by the fun and uplifting events going on in my world. Which was followed by a bold decision to stop everything and switch career paths.

It has almost been a year since my world stopped turning in a predictable direction. I am finally regaining my equilibrium.

Working on our family's collection of memories, stories and history has taken over my thinking this week.

I have travelled back to a simpler time. I am enveloped in memories of when Dad and his six brothers were young and just starting to find their way in this big old world of ours.

As I reread and rewrite the transcribed conversations, I am taken back to the journey that I have been on since I started my 'research'. I have warm memories of talking with Dad's brothers, family members, family friends & neighbors. I hear their voices as I replay our visits.

I have reconstructed my vision of what I hope this book becomes. It keeps changing, evolving and growing. I don't think this book was meant to be rushed. But I have taken far too long. I believe it's ready to be written now.

I am gaining the momentum that I lost. I am ready.

It is exactly the kind of vacation that I needed and wanted. A vacation within the confines of my very own heart and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment