Thursday, January 5, 2012

You Don't Always Get What You Want

... but you get what you need.

I couldn't help but feel apprehensive and uneasy about this New Year, as I turned the calendar page and thought of the uncertainty this month holds for me.

I am booked to work only half days, for the first few weeks of the year. That is all that I know for sure. This could all change with one phone call. But for the moment, all that I am certain of, is what is on my schedule.

Does working half-days put me out of the running for any available full-days? What will my pay cheque be?? How will I manage it financially?

When my stomach started doing flips yesterday morning, I thought it was just a case of nerves. I couldn't have worked yesterday morning if I had been scheduled. My stomach ruled and I couldn't have left the house if I had to. I needed to be home.

I was able to work my 3.5 hour shift, but the last hour was a little bit tense. I had to get home. This I knew.

I basically slept from 4:30 yesterday afternoon until 7:00 this morning. My stomach is much better, but I am grateful that I didn't get called into work this morning.

You don't always get what you want in life (full-time work) ... but you get what you need (sick days, without having to call in).

No comments:

Post a Comment