Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Out With the Old!

We moved the TV out of the living room yesterday. I feel better already.

The television set moved into the living room eight months ago. I can't pinpoint the exact turning point, but I do know that turning on the TV (and immediately falling asleep in front of it) after supper became my new norm around the time of my job change.

Turning on the TV and turning off my brain became a habit. I noticed that it was interfering with what (I used to call) my life, but it was harmless. Or so I thought.

The past week made me rethink my position on that presumption.

I was drawn to the TV, like an addict. Yes, I bounced back and forth between the computer and TV. But what was forever minimized on the computer screen? The TV listings. I would plan my day around what was on TV. Great strategy was involved so that I could maximize my television viewing hours.

I stopped cooking. I stopped talking. I stopped writing. I (almost) even stopped snacking because that would require a trip to the store to replenish our grocery supplies. Then I would have to make myself presentable enough to be seen in public. I stopped living.

I cannot recall a time where I did so little, with so much time. It had to come to an end.

So I asked for assistance in moving the TV downstairs yesterday. My Middle Son was eager to assist (the TV was right above his bedroom downstairs and the base in the volume was interfering with his sleep). My Youngest Son was thrilled to (finally) get this television set moved into the TV room downstairs.

And that is how quickly our lives changed.

I prepared supper. I started organizing My Son's income tax paperwork. I felt the energy returning. My restrained words from the past week started flowing and there was no stopping them.

Am I feeling the ache to turn on the TV and turn off my brain once again this morning? Unfortunately, yes. Fortunately, I have eleven months of paperwork to sort through for My Son. I return to work tomorrow, so I cannot drag my heels. I must be productive today.

I wish that I would have done this five days ago. I am not certain what was gained by losing those days. On some level, I must have needed the down time. But enough is enough!

There is work to be done around here. And it isn't going to happen with a television set ruling my life. Out with the old ... in with the new!! The TV is gone. And I am back ...

No comments:

Post a Comment