Monday, January 30, 2012

In Search of the Goldilocks Zone

I'm yearning for that 'juuuust right' feeling in my days. A balance between work and leisure. I don't know quite how to achieve that when I never know what to expect of a day.

January has not been a profitable month as a substitute. I have been warned that February could be much the same. I have been given some hope that job postings start coming up from March to June, so there could be a time in my future when I get to work at the same school for months on end. That would be heavenly.

So, I should be making the most of my days at home. If I am not working outside of my home, I should be working within the confines of my home.

The knowledge that I must respect my financial limitations is at the forefront of my mind. But it doesn't cost a penny to clean; to write; exercise; or take the dog for a walk. So why haven't I leaped at the opportunity that all of this time off has afforded me??  I have no excuse.

As I write, I am quite literally sitting on the edge of my seat. The phone could ring at any moment and change the outcome of my day. I am not in control of that. Today.

What I am in control of, is what I do with the hours between 8:00 and 4:00 if I am not called to work. I should earmark those hours as work hours, whether I am home or not. Eight hours of productivity. In some fashion. Any fashion! I should have something to show for my day whether or not it is driven by financial compensation.

Today. One day. What can I do to make the most of the hours that lie before me? How can I attain the balance that I crave to put myself back in the 'Goldilocks Zone'?

No comments:

Post a Comment