Thursday, October 20, 2011

What Helps Me Sleep at Night?

I have had too many restless nights lately. Waking up in the middle of the night with a brain full of thoughts. Waking up and feeling anxious about the day/week ahead of me. Waking up because (perhaps?) I've been sleeping too much lately. Waking up out of habit.

So I've been doing my best to do what I can during the day, so I can sleep at night.

I try to unload my thoughts ... somewhere. Whether by talking or writing, I try to relieve the excess. I sequestered myself into a state of solitude when I started my new job. Lately, I have been inviting friends and family back into my world. This is good.

I have done my absolute best to 'empower' myself with regards to the stresses in my life. Choosing how to react. Remembering that I am only in control of 'me'. Accepting the fact that there will always be challenges and challenging people. I have focused on that which I have control over. It helps. It helps a lot.

I have done a better job of avoiding the after-supper naps. I think that I had been sleeping to avoid thinking. Shut down all systems and go into forget and avoid mode. It has been better to keep myself active and (somewhat) productive. That definitely adds quality to my night-time sleeping hours.

That habit seems to be hardest to break. But if I keep my life in balance and my thoughts and actions positive, at least I wake up in a calm state of mind. Sleep returns easily if my life is in balance.

But what really, really helps me sleep at night? Living the day the best way that I know how. Looking my challenges in the eye and thinking to myself "You are not going to get the best of me!" Acting and reacting to life, so that when the day replays in my mind (and it always does!), I can hold my head high and know that I did the best that I could with what I was given.

Yesterday? I did all of the above. Then I went dancing. It was the perfect end to an (almost) perfect day ...

Last night? I slept. All night. Today is going to be another good day. The tides of change are shifting my course. But I like where I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment