Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Life is an Art Form

We read the same words. We each pulled out the exact same quote to prove our point. The points we were trying to prove were at polar opposites of each other. Yet we each found our own version of the truth, within the very same sentence.

Everything we see, hear, write and live is defined by our past, our vision and our personal perception of what lies before us.

Timing is everything. I remember reading a fictional novel about teen pregnancy. Three times. Before, during and after my own pregnancy at a young age. It was the same book. The exact same words. But the story changed each and every time, because of what I was living at that moment.

Art. Movies. Music. Writing. Each and every form of art brings a unique and personal meaning to the person seeing/watching or reading it. Each individual brings their own story into the art form and translates it differently than the next guy.

So it is with life. What feels right to me today, may differ from what felt right yesterday. Or a year from now. I walk through my days alone and I share my experiences after the fact. I must make decisions that I can live with. Every day.

" 'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something." ~ Steve Jobs

This quote means different things to different people. On different days. In different circumstances. How each person perceives what needs to be changed is as individual as their fingerprint. The 'truth' lies within the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment