Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Is it Me???

I am still undecided if this incident deserves further energy on my part or not. I was on the receiving end of one more tongue lashing today. I stood in a state of disbelief. I didn't see it coming.

The last thing in the world that I expected was a confrontation.

I felt that I had a valid reason to voice my concern. I thought that the person on the receiving end of my observation would appreciate the fact that I talked directly to them, instead of going to a superior.

I was in no way, shape or form retaliating. I just thought that something should be said so that the incident could be prevented from happening in the future.

My mistake? I put it in writing.

The one and only reason that I wrote it down, was so that if I happened to be within earshot of others, I could discreetly hand over my comment without saying it out loud. I had no reason or desire to embarrass anyone nor cause a public display.

I was in a hurry and I didn't reread what I wrote. I had absolutely no idea that the last sentence would cause the recipient of my comment to feel as though this was a personal attack. The response was immediate and unbuffered from anyone within earshot.

I could (and perhaps should) have said much more. I relayed my concern over one incident. There were others. Perhaps if there hadn't been other parallel infractions, I would have let it slide.

I walked away dumbfounded.

I had absolutely no intention on letting this matter jade my loyalty to a business. I am having second thoughts.

I do not want to approach a higher level of management. It would appear that I have a personal vendetta against this employee if I did that.

The fact of the matter is, that I honestly have a valid complaint. I like to draw attention and acknowledge good service. I have voiced my discontentment with businesses a few times in the past. It has not been personal. I didn't feel as though one employee was being placed in jeopardy. It was a general observation.

That is how all of this began. A general observation that I intended to discreetly bring to the attention of my superior. It ended in a personal affront. The response was a verbal attack where an unrelated incident was brought up, which had absolutely nothing to do with the reason that I passed along my concern.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am also feeling a 'disconnect' from my previous employer.

I did everything I knew how to do, to try to salvage the situation. There is no sense in rehashing the past, but I do not know what more I could have done. Yet ... when it came to the final pay cheque and paperwork, they were both lacking. So I have been placed in a position where I must to follow up.

If there was anything that could have been salvaged from that work relationship, I believe that it has been lost.

Once again, I feel that I have a valid reason to complain. But if I do so, it becomes personal. To me, it isn't personal. I just want what is due to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is it any wonder that I feel like I am walking on eggshells at my New Job?

My previous work experiences have all been very positive. In almost 35 years of work experience, I have never ever run across situations that were anything like these.

Is it me? Am I walking around with a "Kick Me When I'm Down" sign on my back??? Or have I simply been running into new and improved challenges these past few weeks??

No comments:

Post a Comment