Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of School

My Youngest will register himself for school this morning. By himself. He is in Grade 8 and I have gone with him every single year. Until now.

I was fortunate to find a way to afford to stay home and raise My Youngest. We have walked a lot of roads together. Thanks to my daycare days, we experienced a lot elementary school issues within the safety of our home before he was face-to-face with them at school.

He has been easy to raise. His behaviour has not caused me any great concern. He does well at school. He gets along with his peers. He is a very even tempered guy. Always has been. We have gone through 13 years together and had very few challenges (toilet training was the biggest issue that I can recall).

Now here he is. Thirteen and on his own to face a brand new school year.

I am beyond relieved that this is happening this year - not next. Next year is a whole new ball of wax. High school.

Is it a fortunate twist of fate that I get to experience working in a high school the year before My Youngest faces this new world? What will I see and experience that will help him find his way next year?

Even as My Youngest starts facing the world on his own, I have found myself in a position to test the waters for the years ahead. I cannot walk him through those years but I can fortify myself with knowledge that may make a difference.

I am much more frightened of this first than My Youngest is. I have been consciously been reminding myself to simply breathe. All weekend. One moment at a time. One person at a time. One task at a time. I will get through this day and those that follow.

This morning, My Youngest will register himself for his last year in elementary school. This morning, I will face my first day of registration in high school.

School is back. Life-as-I-know-it is changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment