Thursday, July 28, 2011

Life Lesson #32441

Words are not coming easily these days.

I believe that the negativity that I am working feverishly to stifle, is hampering the flow of words out of my fingertips.

"What have I done??" is the question of the hour.

I gave my employer two weeks notice. Despite the many reasons why I know that I must resign, I cannot help but feel that I have betrayed them.

They don't have time to take a few minutes to explain a job that they want for me to do. How in the world will someone walk in off of the street, and be able to survive in this atmosphere?

I honestly thought that my last week of employment would have involved showing someone else what I do. I have two days of work left. It hasn't happened yet.

I read somewhere, that when someone exits your life ... ask yourself what they have added to your life.

In some cases, the notepad would be all but empty. This is not the case with my employer.
  • They hired me at a time when I desperately needed the income.
  • They were willing to take a chance on my inexperience and willingness to learn.
  • They paid me very well from the onset, despite my lack of hands-on knowledge.
  • I was rewarded with financial bonuses on several occasions.
  • They trusted me.
  • They allowed me the opportunity to work from my home.
I had a business/friendship arrangement with these people. It can be very hard when friendship is a factor in a business relationship. I tried on numerous occasions to sit down and discuss the situation at work. I proposed a meeting with them early last fall. Despite my initial attempts to follow up on this plan, it never happened. So yes ... I gave up.

When communication breaks down, you start a slide down a slippery slope. Even as a last ditch effort, I would fully appreciate sitting down and talking with these people. I feel that I could offer a perspective that may help. Heavens! I would even work on a part time basis for them, to help them through this transition. But they haven't talked to me. Not a word.

I honestly thought that my resignation would be an opportunity. Not an end.

This hasn't been a healthy situation for a while. But it started out as one. Working together, communication, flexibility and compromise could have saved what could have been a very good working relationship.

Hmmm ... I could be talking about one of my failed relationships.

It never ceases to amaze me, just how often life comes full circle. My own actions have come back to haunt me in more ways than one recently. I see, feel and admit my failings. I have been on the receiving end of what I have given others. It has not been pleasant.

This has been yet another one of life's lessons. The older I get, the more I realize that I have to learn. I will forever be a student in life. I am grateful for the lessons. I appreciate the perspective and opportunity to gain from whatever life tosses my way.

I just hope that I have learned these lessons well enough, so that I don't have to repeat this particular class!

No comments:

Post a Comment