Monday, June 13, 2011

One Happy Customer - My Experience with Staples

I walked into our local Staples store and I stopped in my tracks.

I had never purchased a fax cartridge before and had no idea which way to turn. Rather that wander aimlessly through the store, I perused the aisle markers from where I stood.

At first glance, I couldn't find what I was searching for. I had just started a second look when one of the store's employees happily approached me and asked if there was anything she could help me with.

I expressed my pure and utter relief with a resounding, "Yes!" and showed the clerk the make and model of the cartridge which I needed.

As we walked toward the aisle where these items were kept, I expressed my surprise and gratitude for her quick and efficient service. I told her that I couldn't remember the last time that had happened to me. She told me that this service is what they strive for.

Within minutes, I was approaching the cashier with my purchase.

There wasn't another soul in line. I paid for my item and was on my way. I was in and out of the store within five minutes.

Granted, I couldn't have walked into the store at a better time. It was a quiet time of day and the employees weren't all occupied with other customers.

The difference between what I encountered at Staples and what I have seen in some other retail outlets, is the fact that these employees were there to assist their customers as soon as they saw the need.

How many times have I waited for clerks to finish (what appears to be) a private conversation amongst themselves before they can answer a question?

How often are stores so understaffed that the ability to find a service representative is next to impossible?

Why is it that in business owners quest to increase the almighty bottom line, that service is the first thing to go?

Decrease prices to attract consumers. Staff the store with a skeleton crew so that the cost verses profit margins stay intact. Or is it that they can't find long term, reliable employees because the wages are at the bottom of the pay scale or employee benefits are lacking or any number of reasons why employees don't feel a loyalty to the company?

The big stores are bullying the little guys out of the market these days. They are attracting business with low, low prices. But they are not working to retain that same business with superior service.

Why are there so many disgruntled employees these days? What happened to the day when management realized that happy employees are good for business? Treat your staff well and it all goes downhill. They treat each other with respect and due to the trickle down effect, the customer is the ultimate winner.

I have had nothing but positive experiences with West Jet airlines. They advertise that their employees care, because their employees are owners in their own company. It is not blatant. But it is there. These employees appear to be happy and proud of their company. As a consumer, I feel that.

Small businesses are going by the wayside. The big guys are pushing them out.

There is a difference. Small business owners are looking out for every one's best interests. They seem to have it all right (in my eyes). They see that a happy customer is a repeat customer. They go above and beyond.

I have heard that a satisfied customer may tell a few people of their good experience. A dissatisfied customer will tell up to twenty.

I am one happy customer. It is my goal to first of all - immediately tell the employee how pleased I was with the way I was treated. Second of all - to tell as many people I know, about that same service. And last, but not least - to tell the company itself.

I may be but one person, but if I can touch the world with positive instead of negativity ... my work here is worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment