Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Kitchen Table is Empty

I have a mish mash of thoughts wandering through my head this morning. I have no idea if there is one central theme running through them or not. So I will let my fingers do the talking and see what they come up with ...

~ My kitchen table is (was) empty! ~

So is the table beside it. And if that wasn't exciting enough ... the counter between the fridge and stove are also clutter free.

Why is this exciting? Because whatever is on the kitchen table is my working pile of things-to-do. I keep this pile in plain sight on the table so that I do not forget to keep plugging away. It is (was) empty!!

The table beside the kitchen table? It holds the long-term projects. My cruise pile has been sitting there since November. This table holds any number of things. If something is sitting on that table, chances are it will be there for a while. It is wiped clean (note to self: dust this table while you have the opportunity).

The counter top between the fridge and stove is the spot where I keep my lists. Things that should be taken care of immediately. In a perfect world, I would never have anything sitting in this space. These are the things that I write down so I don't forget to do them. This spot is vacant. It has been for several days.

The top of the microwave is my 'to go' spot. Whatever sits there is in its completed form. All that has to be done is deliver it to its rightful owner or location. At the moment, there is one envelope that has been sitting there for a week. It's a small envelope ...

Then there is the top of the dresser in my room. It can hold a wide variety of things. 'To go' items in their uncompleted stage. Things to be filed. Items which do not yet have a home. Things to remember to take with me when I go on a holiday, etc, etc, etc. All I know for sure is that it is a rare thing when the top of my dresser is clutter free. Today? It is.

I have an overflow spot. The table in the living room. If there are piles on this table, my life is spiralling out of control. This is a last ditch effort to maintain a semblance of order in a chaotic world. This table has had little more than the 'cards of the season' or memories of a special occasion on it for quite some time. At the moment, it is holding My Youngest's birthday cards. This is as it should be.

The computer desk. This is a work in progress. What sits before me on this desk is my own personal list of things-on-my-mind. Blog post ideas. Bits and pieces of trivia that I may want to add to something I'm writing. Reminders, notes and phone numbers for phone calls I must make or to remind me that I am waiting for a return call. Notes-to-self. Budgets ... goals ... things-on-my-mind.

What sits before me at this desk is what is currently on my mind. As I glance at these little piles and notations, I see the thought processes that are sifting around in my brain at the moment. What I see is inspiring me. Not overwhelming me (prior to last night, they were overwhelming me).

Last night, I dug out the manual from the Group Fitness Course that I completed in March. I have one final step to complete the process of becoming certified as a group fitness instructor. One step. The mere thought of this last hurdle has overwhelmed me for months. No more.

What is sitting on my kitchen table as I write? My Group Fitness course manual. One forward step at a time. I will move towards my goal and wipe the kitchen table clean.

Because once that is cleaned off ... I must tackle one more project that has been sitting in its uncompleted stage for far too long. My dad's family history.

These two uncompleted projects are draining my energy. What I have begun ... I must complete.

I must wipe the slate clean. So I can start all over again. Because boy!! I've got some new ideas that I'd like to pursue.

This entire blog post is brought to you by the words "My kitchen table is empty!" ~

No comments:

Post a Comment