Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Little Moments ... That Take Me Back to The Cruise

It was a little thing. But for a moment, I was transported back in time.

I had the lucky opportunity to drive by a Tim Hortons while running an errand for my employer last Friday. I made a deal with myself. If there were no cars in the drive-thru, I would get a coffee. If there were cars .. oh well. Too bad, so sad.

There were no cars! It was a miracle.

I ordered my coffee and decided to treat myself with a chocolate dip donut. It was Friday and all (plus I was hungry).

I was anticipating my treat but savoring the idea of what that donut would taste like. So I waited. I waited until I got back to work. I waited until I'd done a little more work. Then I did it. I opened my little bag to find ... a chocolate glazed donut. Not what my taste buds were after. But I smiled when I remembered.

The person who took my order at the Tim Hortons drive-thru had a thick accent. I'm sure my Canadian accent also sounded rather thick. Chocolate dip verses chocolate glazed is a very understandable miscommunication even if English is your first language.

Suddenly, I was transported back in time. To the cruise ship. When another English-as-a-second-language person gave me an English muffin when I asked for a bagel. I remembered how much better the English muffin choice was for me that day and how much I enjoyed it.

I smiled and gobbled up my chocolate glazed donut. I was grateful for a little moment that took me back to my Great Alaskan Adventure.

I hope there are many, many more little moments to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment