Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dear Dad,

I often think of the lessons you taught ... the life you modelled ... the person you were ... and the impact you had (and still have) on my life.

I look at pictures and I'm taken back in time. I can see your smile, the unspoken words in your eyes and the quiet security that I felt in knowing that you were always on my side.

I love to hear people talk of you. People are so happy to tell me their memories. I believe that the biggest obstacle that I have in completing what I have started with your family's story is the loss I will feel when my research is done.

There are so many times that I stand back and look at our family at a distance. I wonder if there is any way that you could know how far we have all come since we last sat down and had a conversation with you.

I have gained so much from what you taught me. My heart aches for the lessons that I had yet to learn.

I thought of you yesterday as we were enveloped in family at a celebration in our home town. We spoke of you. We reminisced a little and honored your memory. Not because it was Father's Day. Just because it is something we can do, to keep you alive and well in our hearts and lives.

I love you, Dad. I hope you knew how much ...

No comments:

Post a Comment