Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Time and Cruising

I feel like I’ve been in a time warp ever since we stepped foot on this cruise ship.

Right now, when I think back to this morning, it feels like at least 2 days ago. So much is packed into one day when you are cruising, that the day feels timeless (in a good way).

Yet, when I think of this past Friday – the day we checked in and boarded the ship … it feels like an eternity ago.

When I realize that we have only two full days left in our home on water, I just know how quickly they will fly by.

Yet, when I realize that we will not be home until one week from today, it feels like forever.

Meal times. All I can say is thank goodness we have a standing 8:30 supper date. It gives us time to remember to eat something in the afternoon. Usually that something has been something pretty light, because we just realized that we forgot to eat lunch (again) and we know that we won’t last until 8:30 without some kind of sustenance.

Today has been a rather meal-less kind of day. Apparently I set the alarm on my cell phone for 7:30 (it was supposed to go off at 6:00 a.m.). I awoke with a start when there was a message to all passengers, announced at 7:00. We didn’t have to be at our meeting spot for our excursion until 8:45, so we weren’t running for our tour bus. But we didn’t have a minute to spare either.

I searched the breakfast buffet for something other than omelette (and cold potatoes) today. I thought waffles would hit the spot, and I searched high and low (to no avail). I was probably on the wrong floor?? So I decided I’d have a toasted bagel instead. In fact, I was really looking forward to it until I looked at the ‘bagel’ that the server gave to me. It was an English muffin (this is the downfall of having 60 different countries representing the cruise staff – misunderstandings run rampant … the other day, My Friend asked for hash browns and got mushrooms instead … and tonight I ended up with a Tom Collins to drink because the waiter didn’t understand my original request). Oh well. I added a few chunks of pineapple and melon to my plate; added a strawberry yogurt (they didn’t have vanilla) and decided that was exactly what I wanted (but didn’t even know it). It was very tasty.

The only problem was … that was my last meal of the day. A snack was included on our whale watching tour. I had three donut holes and a Ritz cracker with approximately a quarter teaspoon of salmon on it. I guess that was lunch.

I was very much looking forward to supper …. but that didn’t happen either. One thing ran into the other all day long and the next thing I knew, My Friend and I were playing a Cat & Mouse game of trying to meet at the same place at the same time so we could go and see the comedian, which was tonight’s entertainment.

I’m quite sure that the room attendants must have thought that we had gone boat-crazy as they were witness to My Friend and I circling the ship, as we tried our best to me met up with each other (to no avail). We kept leaving messages for each other in the room. And we simply couldn’t co-ordinate our timing. We circled, circled and circled some more. And we continued to miss each other every step of the way.

~ Side note ~ Due to an outbreak (numbers unknown) of the Norovirus by several passengers aboard the ship, there have been many, many, many precautions made to ensure that there isn’t a pandemic aboard. One of these precautions is the mandatory hand sterilization as you enter and leave the dining areas ... in all elevator/corridor areas … or going off/coming onboard. You name it, they have the ship’s staff manning the decks with antibacterial gel.

When My Friend and I (finally) met up, I told her, “My hands have never been so sterile!!” I had been up, down, all around and back the ship (at least three times). At every turn, I had a crew member with antibacterial gel for me.

So …. short story long ….

Not only did I get a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs (I have been trying to use the stairs verses the elevator, to help with all of the weight I was told that I would gain), but the last real meal that I had today was breakfast.

Not to worry though. I had a quarter of a slice of orange and a cherry in my drink tonight. Plus, the nightly chocolate on my pillow was awaiting me at the end of our evening. I guess that was supper (I just remembered the yogurt in the fridge … I guess that was dessert!?)

We have only two short days left of our cruise. That doesn’t seem very long, when you think that I have 10 pounds yet to gain. But it could seem like an eternity if we don’t find a way to ensure we eat at least twice a day!

There is a time zone unto itself here on the ship. Speaking of that, I suppose I should try and get tired. Tomorrow’s alarm (I hope it goes off this time) is set for 5:30.

Good night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment