Wednesday, May 11, 2011

They Fit! They Still Fit!!

I have been afraid to try on my formal wear in preparation for my upcoming cruise (which is now nine short days away). But part of me was still counting on the special magical spell that has been cast upon that particular part of my wardrobe.

The formal attire that I own seems to have a little bit of magic woven into the fabric. Any time I need to wear these items, they somehow magically transform themselves so that they still fit me.

I have a pretty impressive formal wardrobe for a girl who hangs around in a diesel shop all day. My previous work-from-home-careers would lead one to believe that I would have a closet full of jeans and T-shirts. I don't.

Thankfully, I dance! Dancing has created a need for 'smart casual' attire. Our annual showcase has helped outfit my closet with a small selection of formal wear (not to mention a small array of ballgowns and slinky rhythm apparel).

I opened up my closet doors last night and was prepared for anything. How could my clothing possibly still fit after all of my overeating and lack of activity? I've been here before. So I tried again.

I felt like a little girl playing dress up ... with the clothes in my very own closet. I quickly accumulated the formal garb that I would require. Then I started playing around with the rest of my regular weekly dancing wardrobe. A few outdated glittery tops could work well as camisoles. And voila! I had created a brand new look with very old clothes.

I easily amassed seven evenings worth of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire that I will require for our cruise.

It is the rest of my wardrobe that is lacking. The hanging around the ship and going on excursions wear. The day-to-day clothing I will need while we spend the last three to four days hanging out in Anchorage and finding our way home.

The wardrobe that doesn't expand and shrink with me. Denim is such an unforgiving fabric. Denim keeps me grounded. It tells me when I overeat. It is screaming at me to get active again. No give, no take. It is what it is. And my new body doesn't fit so well in my old denim. Sure, I can put it on and zip it up. But it isn't comfortable.

Yes, my formal wear still fits. It fit me 10 pounds ago. It probably looked a little better back then too. The only magic about those clothes is the elasticity of the fabric.

To keep the denim or to let it go, is the question. Denim is my reality check. It is what it is. Body size changes are easily measured when you wear denim. But every girl needs a part of her wardrobe that stretches the truth (aka: fabric) just a little bit.

As we change, grow and evolve as a person ... isn't it also part of the process for our bodies to change, grow and evolve? Isn't it only fitting for our wardrobe to reflect those changes and give us a little leeway? A little room to grow?

I'm grateful for my formal wear that has that little bit of pixie dust sprinkled into the weave of the fabric. A small bit of magic that makes me feel as young, vibrant (and thin) as I was when I first wore them.

My formal attire not only gives me room to grow. It gives me a little bit of room to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment