Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cruise Cuisine

I can’t begin to tell you how many times people have told me that everyone gains 10 to 15 pounds on cruise holiday. I didn’t obsess about the idea, nor come up with alternatives that would make me one of those who did not gain extra weight.

As we explored the ship, we found that food was available pretty much any time. Plus 24 hour beverage carts (coffee, tea and juices). So I was starting to see where the rumor of gaining excessive weight was a definite possibility.

Then came reality.

A ‘welcome buffet’ was prepared for everyone. Most of us had been in line ups since noon, and the process to embark had taken 1 and a half hours. Supper time was not anywhere in the immediate future, so I would imagine that each and every one of the (over) 2,000 guests were eternally grateful.

It didn’t take us long to follow our noses (and the ship map) and discover our first set of buffet choices.

What surprised me, was that I was not overly hungry. And, it being a buffet style meal, I simply took what I knew I could eat.

If I had went to a restaurant, I would have been served excessive helpings and (because I was paying good money for the meal), I would have eaten much, much more than I needed to.

If I was at home, I would have most likely have had a few snacks long before this same time. Then when supper time rolled around, more likely than not, I would have eaten more than I wanted. Because either (A) I just wanted to get rid of it; or (B) I would not want to see my good money (food) thrown out.

But here? On holidays, when I have only my own stomach to worry about? It is a completely different matter.

Then there is the matter of our formal dining experience in the evenings. You must dress for supper. You are treated like royalty by the staff. The menu changes every evening, though they do have one menu that is always offered.

It is that changeable menu that throws me a curve ball. Seafood galore. Lamb (I can’t help but think of Mary’s Little Lamb when I read that lamb is an option). Words I’ve never read before in my life (why do they do that?!?). I am just as impressed to read ‘white sauce’, verses bousse blanc. They do that each and every meal.

Tonight was the scariest evening of all. Should I order grilled chicken breast for the third time in a row (I tried the steak one night and left half of it uneaten)? Or should I brave the changing menu and try something new?

I read, read and reread the soup and salad options. They also have appetizers but none of those were appealing to me (besides, I would need to be as hungry as possible if I was to try anything out of the norm).

It took some searching but eventually, I found potato soup and thought that maybe I’d give that a whirl (our table mates order appetizers and salad &/or soup, so I usually sit and watch them eat for the first half of our meal). Then I read the fine print. There were frog legs in the potato soup! Frog legs?!? See why I don’t order something I don’t understand?

In the end, I chose a vegetarian dish. They couldn’t sneak seafood, fish, lamb, beef or pork into the meal if it was advertised as vegetarian. So that is what I decided on.

The meal that I eventually chose, was deemed as a ‘heart smart’ selection. This is not the first time that I’ve found myself choosing what I want to eat, only to find out it is good for me!! I have tried the desserts the past three nights and (unintentionally) chose the ‘No Sugar Added’ dessert.

We keep missing meal times. I am instinctively making healthy food choices (for no other reason than, it is the best I can find on the menu). I’m eating smaller portions. There are no chips in our room, so if I’m feeling ‘snackish’ late at night, the absolutely only choice I have, is to dig into the outlandishly priced ‘liquor store’ in our room (otherwise known as a fridge).

I’m moving more and eating less. Without even trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment