Tuesday, May 3, 2011

It All Started With a Spare TV

My Oldest had a spare TV set that he didn't want or need, so he generously offered to give it to me. Since our TV to human ratio in our home is already at 1.25 TV's : 1 person, I didn't think it was necessary. But since two of those television sets are smaller than a lot of computer monitors, I thought why not?

After our eventual arrival back home around 9:00 p.m. on Sunday night, my Second Son asked "What do you want to do with that TV set?" My response (while simultaneously thinking "Not a thing, right now") was "I was considering putting it in the living room". His response? "Let's do it!" And he did.

This is what our living room now looks like:

The shuffling of furniture and fine tuning the new look led our conversation to things like "What about turning the spare room into an office like you are always talking about ..."

I am not a great fan of changing the entire function of a room. It means a massive amount of furniture reshuffling and the inevitable cleaning that ensues (because the above mentioned furniture has not been moved in at least five years).

I visibly shuddered at the idea and suggested we just leave things as they are and go to sleep (we didn't sit down in our newly arranged living room until the late, late hours of Sunday night).

I woke up yesterday morning thinking maybe My Son was right. We needed to shake things up a little around here. I left him a note telling him it was purely voluntary ... but if we are going to start shuffling rooms around, the place to start is the basement. If he felt like it, he had full reign to do as he pleased to clear it out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
By the time I came home from work yesterday afternoon, the only thing left in the room were the boxes containing the brand new bed frame that goes with the bedroom suite I purchased last fall.

He helped arrange a steal-of-a-deal for a queen sized mattress for me and it was waiting for me upon my arrival home as well.

He suggested that I start emptying out my room so that I could sleep in my new bed.

The last thing in the world I felt like doing was clearing out my room, vacuuming, dusting, setting up a new bed frame and struggling with a queen sized mattress.

But ... since My Son was busy building this ...


I really had no choice but to follow through on his suggestion.

Much to my chagrin, instead of plunking myself down in our new living room and watching 'Dancing With the Stars' ... I was utilizing my new found packing, lifting and moving muscles once again.

It went fairly well (other than the part where I was supposed to have 12 screws and only had 10; 2 of those, which were stripped; 2 more of which, I could not line up where they were supposed to be).

And last night ... I ended up sleeping in this:

I slept in the lap of luxury last night - complete with 'Egyptian Cotton' sheets. Ohmigosh ... it was heavenly!!!

Our Cat found his way into my bed soon after I did last night. I tossed and turned (as I always do) and found that there was ample room for both of us. I think he appreciated the extra room as much as I did.

Yes ... it is a bed fit for queen (and her cat).

And it all started with a spare TV set (and this saga has not ended yet) ...

No comments:

Post a Comment