Thursday, May 19, 2011

I Feel Like the Luckiest Mother in the World!

I recently wrote of my nieces and nephews ... and how each and every one of them have their own unique characteristics and way of expressing themselves. They are a special blend of genetics, their upbringing and their own view of the world. But today? I found myself telling My Youngest "I am the luckiest mother in the world!"

My Youngest is a good kid. He's independent, yet appreciates having the guiding hand of adults around him. He lives up to expectations, calls and asks permission to do things 'outside of the norm' and respects the answer "No" from time to time. I find it hard to say "no" when he is so upfront and honest with me. He is an easy guy to live with, watch over and invite along. He is an easy guy to like. And I like him!

My Second Son is such an amazing kaleidoscope of the best of the traits that he has been around the entirety of his life. He has an adventuresome spirit, is a risk taker, speaks his mind and has a genuine interest in making the most of his life. He has learned many lessons at a young age. He takes those lessons and moves forward just a little bit wiser than he was before.

My Oldest has saw much more and experienced an entirely different life than the sheltered life of his younger brothers. He has learned some tough lessons the hard way ... but the past two years have brought out a different set of characteristics. Qualities that he has had all along. He started talking and unleashing some of the hurt that he has felt, witnessed and endured. He defines success differently than his brothers. He has his own unique mountain to climb. But he is well on his way!

My children are spaced 20 years apart. It is hard to find that brotherly relationship when the age gaps differ so much. But it is beginning. A few Sundays ago, I saw and felt it. It is a beginning. And where there is a beginning, there is no end.

I was gushing on about some of this with My Sister when she called last night. I am in amazement at the set of circumstances that have brought me to a place where I can leave my children behind to watch out over each other. When Mom was sick a few months ago, it gave all of us a trial run. We all learned a little that has eased us into today. I told my sister, "They don't even need me anymore!" Her reply? "You are the glue that holds them together ... they still need you."

I need them too. I will be gone on my Alaskan Cruise Adventure for twelve days. But I will return, knowing that I am the luckiest Mom in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment