Friday, April 22, 2011

It's All About Friends

I was talking to a long-time friend last night. One of my keep-forever-friends where (though I don't talk to often) it is like picking up from where we last left off as soon as we hear each other's voice.

She is the third friend that I hope to incorporate into my upcoming 'It's All About Friends' holiday.

First off, I will be going on this cruise with my very-first-friend-in-my-world.

I grew up on a farm and our nearest neighbors lived a few miles away, down a country road. My friend and I became friends because of where we lived. We remained friends until my family moved to another province when I was nine years old. We wrote and visited back and forth sporadically until I stopped going back 'home' with my parents. She came to my wedding and she came to my dad's funeral. We lost touch.

Fast forward to our town reunion five years ago. We sat down and reconnected. We marvelled at how easily we picked up and carried on our friendship. We vowed we would get together again (since we now both live in the same city). Three years came and went. Three years of exchanging Christmas greetings and promises of meeting up one day. Then (about one and a half years ago) we finally did it. We met for coffee ... and now we are going on an Alaskan Cruise Holiday together!

I am cruising with the first friend that I ever made.

Our destination is Anchorage, Alaska. Who lives there? My-first-best-friend-after-our-family-moved-to-another-province.

Once again, we became friends because of where our parents lived. My new best friend in the world lived a few doors down from us. Her family moved (from the U.S.) to Canada for two years because of her dad's job. We became fast and best friends, and made the most of those two years.

She moved back to the States when we were about 12 years old. Our family went to visit them the summer after they moved back 'home' and we have exchanged Christmas cards every year since then. We started corresponding semi-frequently after 9-11, when I dug out her email address from her last Christmas card with my condolences and concerns.

And now? I am taking an Alaskan cruise. My reunion with my long-time friend at the end of our voyage is like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The whole cruise-with-a-friend to meet-up-with-a-friend began because of a vow that my first-keep-forever-work-friend and I made when we were about 18 years old. "When we are 40 years old, let's go on a cruise together!"

Forty came and went. But this summer, we are each about six months away from being 50. So I brushed off the idea and asked what she thought. She thought (but didn't say) that she was hoping that we would cruise to someplace hot. My first time out of the gate with this idea, she suggested Mexico instead (so I tabled the idea and went on my Great Dance Adventure instead). The second time I suggested it, I was ready, willing and able to book the tickets. Still unable to get a firm commitment from her, I went ahead and booked myself on a cruise. I'd go alone if I had to ... but I was going.

As it turns out, the week that I chose was a week that she already had committed to a once-in-a-lifetime holiday as well. So .... it is our hope that she will be able to make it for supper and an overnight visit during our layover in a city four hours from where she now lives. Since we have been separated by far, far more than four hours for the past 22 years, we are crossing our fingers and hoping that the fates will be kind and allow us to have this short reunion.

I am going on a cruise with the first-friend-I-ever-made. At the end of the cruise awaits a new adventure as I get reaquainted with my first-best-friend-in-our-new-city. On the final leg of my journey lies the possibility of meeting up with my first-keep-forever-work-friend.

This holiday has little to do with fancy hotels, cruise ships, scenery and excursions. It's all about friends. What we will see and do together is unknown. The re-connections we will make ... will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment