Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It Doesn't Hurt to Ask

I have found myself going out on a limb and simply asking for things that (once upon a time) I only dared to hope for.

How many times have I actively asked for what I want and hope for? I'm not talking about the 'big stuff' ... I'm talking about little things.

Things like asking to see I if I could book a bonus dance lesson. Impromptu get-togethers with friends that start with asking about the possibility of making it work. Things like wishing that we could fast track the waiting time for an appointment or test.

There are some big wishes that I have also fulfilled.

I asked about the possibilities when I chose parenthood over career. I asked for the impossible when I made an application for home repairs to a government program that was assisting low income earners. I asked for my job ... I asked questions that led to furthering my education. I stated my dream aloud when I said that I would love to attend a dance competition and doors were opened. I wished for a friend to join me on an Alaskan Cruise. And the list goes on ...

There have been so many doors that have opened for me ... simply because I asked.

My most recent miracles have occurred because I picked up the phone, dialed it and stated my most heartfelt desire aloud to someone who had the ability to help me. I asked if there was any possibility ... and we have have miraculously been granted three separate wishes.

Yesterday morning, I awoke in a state of helplessness. I felt that I was powerless. Circumstances were slipping out of our control and I didn't know what to do.

My instinct was to pick up the phone and call someone who could lead me down the right path. I just about allowed myself to be talked out of it, but I thought "What do I have to lose? I will ask and see what happens."

A small miracle happened. We are still powerless over the results of this 'miracle' ... but we are months ahead of where we would have been, had we simply accepted our fate and waited.

It never hurts to ask. Sometimes the answer is "No ... not yet." But there are times when the answer is, "Yes! We just had a cancellation ..."

Dad's life was saved too late. He stopped breathing. Help was on its way ... but it was too late.

Mom's life is precious and viable. We are working hard to preserve her health. One little miracle after another is helping us make that come true. Doors are opening and we are walking through them with her.

It's almost as if my quiet plea to my dad is coming true. I do not feel alone, as we walk through the unknown. I feel a gentle hand on my shoulder and a whisper in my ear that is telling me, "Just ask ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment